Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th April 2012, 02:15 AM
gossamer Offline

linuxchrome
Reset corrupt xorg config for local user on fc15?

Hi,

After struggling with the xorg config for my Radeon card and incorrectly thinking it was a driver that was causing my display problems, I created a new user and logged in as that user to see if that fixed the problem, and the display was normal. How can I "reset" the xorg configuration that's apparently corrupt for my default user?

I'm using fc15 x86_64. Some time ago I configured the "fallback" gnome3 config, but can't remember. With the creation of the new user, it's back to the regular horrible gnome3 settings. How can I set this user to also have the fallback config?

The problem is the upper third of the screen is black and inaccessible by windows (xterms, firefox, etc), but I can still access the "Applications", "Places", the clock, etc.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 30th April 2012, 02:56 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Reset corrupt xorg config for local user on fc15?

I would try renaming /home/<username>/.gconf directory then logout and back in. If that doesn't work rename /home/<username>/.config/dconf directory. Not sure if F15 has both as I only have F14 and F16.

Forced fallback mode can be found under system settings, system info, graphics tab.
Old 30th April 2012, 03:14 AM
gossamer Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Reset corrupt xorg config for local user on fc15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEO View Post
I would try renaming /home/<username>/.gconf directory then logout and back in. If that doesn't work rename /home/<username>/.config/dconf directory. Not sure if F15 has both as I only have F14 and F16.

Forced fallback mode can be found under system settings, system info, graphics tab.
Okay, awesome, it was the ~user/dconf/user file.

Thanks a bunch.
Dave

Tags
config, corrupt, fc15, local, reset, user, xorg