Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th April 2012, 03:07 PM
fantab Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Unhappy updating GRUB

I dual boot Fedora and Ubuntu. I am using Fedora 17 beta amd_64 with Ubuntu 12.04 amd_64. I use Ubuntu GRUB...

Whenever there is kernel update in Fedora beta I have go to Ubuntu to update GRUB. Considering frequent Kernel updates in Beta it is painful to log into Ubuntu to update Grub.

How can I update Ubuntu Grub from Fedora itself?

I understand that CHROOT might the way for me, however I don't know how to do it. I request the forum to help me learn the process. Step by step instructions will be most helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 29th April 2012, 08:33 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: updating GRUB

Considering they are different versions, and there have been some syntax and command changes in the cfg I'm not sure this can be expected to work correctly. What you could try first:

After a Fedora kernel update, run
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Then copy the grub.cfg to your Ubuntu location for this file and replace it. I think that's /boot/grub/grub.cfg on Ubuntu.
Old 30th April 2012, 09:46 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantab View Post
I request the forum to help me learn the process. Step by step instructions will be most helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Read this
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2

Read the man pages, wiki , search forums.
Most of times there is someone else who had asked the same question.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:26 PM
fantab Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
Read this
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2

Read the man pages, wiki , search forums.
Most of times there is someone else who had asked the same question.
That wasn't helpful at all... thanks anyway.

Old 30th April 2012, 03:46 PM
mschwendt Offline

linuxfirefox

Consulting the official documentation seldomly isn't helpful. Doesn't the manual cover your installation scenario?

With GRUB 2, I still use old school chainloading of bootloaders to start multiple distributions. Each installation updates its own bootloader.

Quote:
Whenever there is kernel update in Fedora beta I have go to Ubuntu to update GRUB.
Sounds weird and unusual.
Old 30th April 2012, 03:50 PM
dsmithhfx Offline

macosfirefox

You've got a couple of options: when you install Fedora (or pretty much any other linux distro), install grub to the root of the same volume (rather than the entire disk), then chainload it from the pre-existing bootloader. That way you should never need to manually update either bootloader.

The other option (which is what I'm using for two Fedora installations on the same hdd), is to mount the one hosting the bootloader (in my case, GRUB 1) using the usual "mount" command in the terminal, and manually edit its grub.conf using gedit as root (with GRUB 2 you would want to edit something else). That way I don't need to reboot into it first. If you're not sure what you're doing though, this carries the risk of making your pc unbootable.

You're going to need to familiarize yourself with some of these basic procedures in order to successfully administer a multi-boot environment going forward. You might find it less stressful and safer to practice on something like virtualbox.
Old 1st May 2012, 04:20 AM
fantab Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwendt View Post
Consulting the official documentation seldomly isn't helpful. Doesn't the manual cover your installation scenario?

With GRUB 2, I still use old school chainloading of bootloaders to start multiple distributions. Each installation updates its own bootloader.

Sounds weird and unusual.
Hadrons123's reply suggesting to consult official documentation was unhelpful and not, as misunderstood, consulting official documentation itself. His reply implied that I did not consult the wiki.

What is "weird and unusual"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmithhfx View Post
You've got a couple of options: when you install Fedora (or pretty much any other linux distro), install grub to the root of the same volume (rather than the entire disk), then chainload it from the pre-existing bootloader. That way you should never need to manually update either bootloader.

The other option (which is what I'm using for two Fedora installations on the same hdd), is to mount the one hosting the bootloader (in my case, GRUB 1) using the usual "mount" command in the terminal, and manually edit its grub.conf using gedit as root (with GRUB 2 you would want to edit something else). That way I don't need to reboot into it first. If you're not sure what you're doing though, this carries the risk of making your pc unbootable.

You're going to need to familiarize yourself with some of these basic procedures in order to successfully administer a multi-boot environment going forward. You might find it less stressful and safer to practice on something like virtualbox.
I have my Fedora Grub2 installed to its own / partition.
So, I have two options: CHAINLOAD or Manually EDIT grub.cfg (grub2).

Thanks for the Direction and your time... I will research more about them and get back.

Tags
grub, updating