FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xfce 4.10 released

http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1335571200

In the 4.10 cycle we mainly focused on polishing the desktop and improving the user experience in various ways. Highlights of this release are:

A new application finder that has been completely rewritten and combines the functionality of the old xfce4-appfinder and xfrun4.
    The panel now has an alternative vertical display mode (a deskbar). What is more, panel plugins can be arranged in multiple rows, which is particularly useful in the deskbar mode.
    A new MIME type editor that allows you to easily change applications used for opening different file types. The mouse and touchpad settings dialog and the settings editor were extended in terms of functionality. The former now supports tablets in a much better way.
    It is now possible to launch applications and open files on the desktop with a single click of the mouse. In addition, the 4.10 desktop can display thumbnails and automatically advance through the wallpaper list.
    The window manager can be configured to tile windows when dragging them to the screen edges. The tab window (Alt+Tab) supports more flexible theming and cursor key navigation.

tox Guest

Re: Xfce 4.10 released

i'll have to wait for F18 an try it out then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tox
    i'll have to wait for F18 an try it out then
    Greg, why not this? - http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/kevin/xfce-4.10/

tox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    i'd Gladly use that if i didnt get DRM - Nouveau errors during boot. i could prolly install Nvidia blob drivers once installed but i CBF farting around getting it going. so i'll either wait for a pre-release of F18 or wait for some other Distro put out a release that just works unlike the doomed Fedora17

when i say during boot. i'll boot a LiveCDS. it gets as far as to that Grey bit and then just spits out a bunch of DRM - Nouveau errors. i get the same problem with OpenSuse12.2 M3
    Last edited by tox; 29th April 2012 at 03:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it works fine with nvidia 295.40.

yum install gnome-terminal / rpm -i gnome-terminal-3.4.1.1-1.fc17.x86_64.rpm
    wget http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.10/fa...e-4.10.tar.bz2

su
    init 3
    yum remove *xfce*
    yum install gtk2-devel
    foreach( packages in fat_tarball)
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 && make

heh

--
    BTW, there is no terminal, so try older version or gnome-terminal.
    Last edited by mmix; 29th April 2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: without terminal, it lost space.

tox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mmix
    it works fine with nvidia 295.40.

wget http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.10/fa...e-4.10.tar.bz2

su
    init 3
    yum remove *xfce*
    yum install gtk2-devel
    foreach( packages in fat_tarball)
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64

heh
    problem is though, when i boot into a liveCD it will NOT boot into a GUI or Desktop. all i get is Garbled Graphix

it'd be useless of me trying to install it from DvD as i still wouldnt be able to get to a Terminal or a Desktop for that matter. i can wait till F18 which should be of more interest than F17 is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah most linux distro getting much harder to install than before..

F17 alpha XFCE version did not worked.

F17 Beta XFCE edition was fine with my com(nouveau geforce 7025)..

then i rapidly removed nouveau, install nvidia 295.40, yeah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though obviously it will be slightly more bloated each time, XFCE is getting really quite powerful it seems. It must surely be close to being able to perform perfectly as a Gnome 2 replacement.
    OS': Fedora 25 - Arch Linux

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSnake
    Though obviously it will be slightly more bloated each time, XFCE is getting really quite powerful it seems. It must surely be close to being able to perform perfectly as a Gnome 2 replacement.
    Works for me

Switched from Debian 6 (Gnome 2) to F16 Xfce. Not sure about the bloat concern? Though I also switched up to new hardware. For me, F16 Xfce (64-bit) is blazing fast. And I am really digging the stability of F16, plus the up to date applications.
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...
    Fedora 39 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD
    Debian 12 | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tox
    problem is though, when i boot into a liveCD it will NOT boot into a GUI or Desktop. all i get is Garbled Graphix

it'd be useless of me trying to install it from DvD as i still wouldnt be able to get to a Terminal or a Desktop for that matter. i can wait till F18 which should be of more interest than F17 is.
    Dunno if it would work but have you tried booting the livecd with xdriver=vesa nomodeset ?

tox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ah7013
    Dunno if it would work but have you tried booting the livecd with xdriver=vesa nomodeset ?
    yeah i tried it with Fedora an OpenSuse12.2 M3 . neither of them worked

i googled an got that answer to use that, but still didnt work so i gave up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave
    Works for me

Switched from Debian 6 (Gnome 2) to F16 Xfce. Not sure about the bloat concern? Though I also switched up to new hardware. For me, F16 Xfce (64-bit) is blazing fast. And I am really digging the stability of F16, plus the up to date applications.
    It's probably not terribly bloated, I mean I have no idea how much they've done "under the hood", in fact for all I know they may have even stripped old code and made the thing more efficient.

I just assumed with extra features there would be more "bloat" but I'm sure it's still at the very least much lighter than the usual DE's.
    OS': Fedora 25 - Arch Linux

aleph is offline Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In summary, we're bringing more bloat
    Code:
    from rlyeh import cthulhu
    cthulhu.fhtagn()

PabloTwo is offline "Fedora User" T-Shirt Winner
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I installed kevins fedora-xfce-4.10 repo on my F16.x86_64 the other day, but set it disabled. To see what it would do, I enabled it at the yum command line and did a "yum check-update". The resulting list was pretty much everything that was xfce related, except xfburn

So a bit earlier today I decided to enable it and do a "yum update". It failed to due an xfburn dependency. My fist thought was... "screw this, xfburn is just too good to loose.". A bit later, I downloaded the xfburn SRPM, deleted the xfburn package and had a go with xfce update to 4.10. Except for failing on an "unsigned package" error (had to give --nogpgcheck option to yum to proceed), the update went smooth (I was in an OpenBox session at the time, where I usually am).

After the update I logged out and then logged back in changing to the new Xfce session. Worked just fine, though an abrt alert/message popped up right away about:
    xfce4-panel Process /usr/lib64/xfce4/panel/migrate was killed by signal 6 (SIGABRT) 2011-04-29 12:49
    But everything was working.. just had to do a bit of rearranging of my top panel items to return things to where they were (add an expanded separator) on the previous panel, and found a few new items on the panel that weren't previously there. Running the rpmfusion 290.40 nvidia drivers.. all is well, so far.

I installed all the build requirements for xfburn and tried a rebuild of the src.rpm package, but it failed miserably. xfburn is not being actively maintained upstream, unfortunately, to keep up with the newer packages it depends on. When I went to "yum install brasero" and saw that it wanted to pull in "tracker", I hit the "n" key right away, then installed "gnomebaker"....we'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xfce is getting some nice add-ons from Gnome-style DEs? Fine, as long as it keeps its WIMP paradigm.
    Seems like I'll have to boot Xfce again...
    An operating system is the tool, not the purpose. · "Ubuntu: The African word for 'Windows is too hard for me'."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast