Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th April 2012, 01:53 AM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox
Xfce 4.10 released

http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1335571200

Quote:
In the 4.10 cycle we mainly focused on polishing the desktop and improving the user experience in various ways. Highlights of this release are:

A new application finder that has been completely rewritten and combines the functionality of the old xfce4-appfinder and xfrun4.
The panel now has an alternative vertical display mode (a deskbar). What is more, panel plugins can be arranged in multiple rows, which is particularly useful in the deskbar mode.
A new MIME type editor that allows you to easily change applications used for opening different file types. The mouse and touchpad settings dialog and the settings editor were extended in terms of functionality. The former now supports tablets in a much better way.
It is now possible to launch applications and open files on the desktop with a single click of the mouse. In addition, the 4.10 desktop can display thumbnails and automatically advance through the wallpaper list.
The window manager can be configured to tile windows when dragging them to the screen edges. The tab window (Alt+Tab) supports more flexible theming and cursor key navigation.
Old 29th April 2012, 02:04 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Re: Xfce 4.10 released

i'll have to wait for F18 an try it out then
Old 29th April 2012, 03:33 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
i'll have to wait for F18 an try it out then
Greg, why not this? - http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/kevin/xfce-4.10/
Old 29th April 2012, 03:48 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
i'd Gladly use that if i didnt get DRM - Nouveau errors during boot. i could prolly install Nvidia blob drivers once installed but i CBF farting around getting it going. so i'll either wait for a pre-release of F18 or wait for some other Distro put out a release that just works unlike the doomed Fedora17

when i say during boot. i'll boot a LiveCDS. it gets as far as to that Grey bit and then just spits out a bunch of DRM - Nouveau errors. i get the same problem with OpenSuse12.2 M3

Last edited by tox; 29th April 2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 29th April 2012, 03:56 AM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox

it works fine with nvidia 295.40.

yum install gnome-terminal / rpm -i gnome-terminal-3.4.1.1-1.fc17.x86_64.rpm
wget http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.10/fa...e-4.10.tar.bz2

su
init 3
yum remove *xfce*
yum install gtk2-devel
foreach( packages in fat_tarball)
./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 && make

heh

--
BTW, there is no terminal, so try older version or gnome-terminal.

Last edited by mmix; 29th April 2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: without terminal, it lost space.
Old 29th April 2012, 04:18 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmix View Post
it works fine with nvidia 295.40.

wget http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.10/fa...e-4.10.tar.bz2

su
init 3
yum remove *xfce*
yum install gtk2-devel
foreach( packages in fat_tarball)
./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64

heh
problem is though, when i boot into a liveCD it will NOT boot into a GUI or Desktop. all i get is Garbled Graphix

it'd be useless of me trying to install it from DvD as i still wouldnt be able to get to a Terminal or a Desktop for that matter. i can wait till F18 which should be of more interest than F17 is.
Old 29th April 2012, 04:26 AM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox

yeah most linux distro getting much harder to install than before..

F17 alpha XFCE version did not worked.

F17 Beta XFCE edition was fine with my com(nouveau geforce 7025)..

then i rapidly removed nouveau, install nvidia 295.40, yeah!
Old 29th April 2012, 04:30 AM
ElderSnake Offline

windows_8firefox

Though obviously it will be slightly more bloated each time, XFCE is getting really quite powerful it seems. It must surely be close to being able to perform perfectly as a Gnome 2 replacement.
Old 29th April 2012, 04:40 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
Though obviously it will be slightly more bloated each time, XFCE is getting really quite powerful it seems. It must surely be close to being able to perform perfectly as a Gnome 2 replacement.
Works for me

Switched from Debian 6 (Gnome 2) to F16 Xfce. Not sure about the bloat concern? Though I also switched up to new hardware. For me, F16 Xfce (64-bit) is blazing fast. And I am really digging the stability of F16, plus the up to date applications.
Old 29th April 2012, 04:50 AM
ah7013 Offline
Registered "Cashew" User

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
problem is though, when i boot into a liveCD it will NOT boot into a GUI or Desktop. all i get is Garbled Graphix

it'd be useless of me trying to install it from DvD as i still wouldnt be able to get to a Terminal or a Desktop for that matter. i can wait till F18 which should be of more interest than F17 is.
Dunno if it would work but have you tried booting the livecd with xdriver=vesa nomodeset ?
Old 29th April 2012, 04:53 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah7013 View Post
Dunno if it would work but have you tried booting the livecd with xdriver=vesa nomodeset ?
yeah i tried it with Fedora an OpenSuse12.2 M3 . neither of them worked

i googled an got that answer to use that, but still didnt work so i gave up
Old 29th April 2012, 05:31 AM
ElderSnake Offline

windows_8firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Works for me

Switched from Debian 6 (Gnome 2) to F16 Xfce. Not sure about the bloat concern? Though I also switched up to new hardware. For me, F16 Xfce (64-bit) is blazing fast. And I am really digging the stability of F16, plus the up to date applications.
It's probably not terribly bloated, I mean I have no idea how much they've done "under the hood", in fact for all I know they may have even stripped old code and made the thing more efficient.

I just assumed with extra features there would be more "bloat" but I'm sure it's still at the very least much lighter than the usual DE's.
Old 29th April 2012, 02:10 PM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfirefox

In summary, we're bringing more bloat
Old 29th April 2012, 06:33 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

I installed kevins fedora-xfce-4.10 repo on my F16.x86_64 the other day, but set it disabled. To see what it would do, I enabled it at the yum command line and did a "yum check-update". The resulting list was pretty much everything that was xfce related, except xfburn

So a bit earlier today I decided to enable it and do a "yum update". It failed to due an xfburn dependency. My fist thought was... "screw this, xfburn is just too good to loose.". A bit later, I downloaded the xfburn SRPM, deleted the xfburn package and had a go with xfce update to 4.10. Except for failing on an "unsigned package" error (had to give --nogpgcheck option to yum to proceed), the update went smooth (I was in an OpenBox session at the time, where I usually am).

After the update I logged out and then logged back in changing to the new Xfce session. Worked just fine, though an abrt alert/message popped up right away about:
Quote:
xfce4-panel Process /usr/lib64/xfce4/panel/migrate was killed by signal 6 (SIGABRT) 2011-04-29 12:49
But everything was working.. just had to do a bit of rearranging of my top panel items to return things to where they were (add an expanded separator) on the previous panel, and found a few new items on the panel that weren't previously there. Running the rpmfusion 290.40 nvidia drivers.. all is well, so far.

I installed all the build requirements for xfburn and tried a rebuild of the src.rpm package, but it failed miserably. xfburn is not being actively maintained upstream, unfortunately, to keep up with the newer packages it depends on. When I went to "yum install brasero" and saw that it wanted to pull in "tracker", I hit the "n" key right away, then installed "gnomebaker"....we'll see.
Old 29th April 2012, 08:46 PM
CrimsonKing Offline

windows_7firefox

Xfce is getting some nice add-ons from Gnome-style DEs? Fine, as long as it keeps its WIMP paradigm.
Seems like I'll have to boot Xfce again...