Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th April 2012, 08:00 AM
andrea.delbravo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Preupgrade from FC14 to FC16

Hi,
after launching preupgrade and after the correct loading of all packages, I rebooted the laptop as required by preupgrade (the OS run on a USB disk) as usually. From the GRUB menu I chose the option to upgrade to FC16.
It began to upgrade the packages but almost near the end the following fatal error appeared:

Error installing Package: a fatal error occurred when installing the gridengine package. This could indicate error when reading the installation media. Installation cannot continue. Exit installer

This happened three times, and every time I had to re-load the old FC14. What is the media mentioned in the error? I cannot believe that there was an error reading the disk three times at exactly the same point!!!
Do I need the DVD installation media?
Old 19th April 2012, 12:51 PM
Paul_Vandenberg Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Preupgrade from FC14 to FC16

I could be totally wrong here, but I didn't think you could go straight from F14 to F16, skipping F15. I never tried it myself as I do a fresh install each time.
Old 19th April 2012, 12:59 PM
coozoo Offline

linuxopera

My suggestion to you, do that using yum from 14->15->16
Old 19th April 2012, 01:12 PM
andrea.delbravo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I thought the same, passing from FC15, even the installation guide tell explicitly when one can pass directly from FC14 to FC16
Thanks a lot
Old 19th April 2012, 01:46 PM
ryptyde Online

linuxfirefox

I've run into problems with preupgrade with similar results and ended up using the DVD and using the "upgrade" option to complete the borked "preupgrade".

phil
Old 19th April 2012, 03:26 PM
Magickman Offline

linuxfirefox

Your Fedora Grub boot-loader in F 14 is different from the Grub 2 boot-loader in F 16. It may go through, but will never boot. Why try the upgrade? Download and install a fresh Fedora, you will sleep better, and breathe easier. I ran Fedora 16 until two days ago, when I installed Fedora 17 Beta. The only drawback I had was the old (290) Nvidia driver. The new 295 one works much better.
Old 19th April 2012, 06:12 PM
coozoo Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickman View Post
Your Fedora Grub boot-loader in F 14 is different from the Grub 2 boot-loader in F 16. It may go through, but will never boot.
Sorry but you little bit wrong, it should and will boot (checked by all people who use upgrade) it's a words from fedora manual yum upgrade (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgra...dora_using_yum)
Code:
Bootloader change
After the upgrade, you will have the grub2 and grub-efi packages installed and the grub package removed. However, grub will still be installed to the MBR and booting should still work. You can follow the instructions below to switch to grub2 if you choose. If installed, the firstaidkit-plugin-grub package may prevent the upgrade; do simply remove that package if that is the case.

Tags
fc14, fc16, preupgrade