Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th April 2012, 09:27 PM
Cylinder57 Offline

linuxfirefox
How to change boot and login screen

Hello everyone,

I'm using Fedora 16 with XFCE and LXDM (lxde login manager.)

This is essentially 2 questions in 1 thread, so how do I change the boot screen (The "wallpaper" of the boot screen. The default is a black screen.) and the login screen (The "wallpaper" of the login screen. The default is an ocean and a submarine. It's from Finding Nemo.)

I've been trying to do this for some time now, so help will be appreciated. I prefer not to change my login manager to something such as GDM. However, if you can't state a solution that does not involve changing login managers, please feel free to state your solution.

Thanks,

Cylinder57.

Update: This thread is TRULY solved. Look at the bottom for my solution. If anyone wants to modify KDE boot screen, please feel free to ask for help (Note that I don't use KDE.)

Last edited by Cylinder57; 21st April 2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 15th April 2012, 09:36 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome
Re: How to change boot and login screen

For your first question, adding a background image to the grub2 menu screen (though you refer to it as the "boot" screen), there is a guide for that in the "Guides & Solutions" section of the forum here. If you are not referring to the grub2 menu screen, but to the Plymouth "filling bubble" boot screen, then you can simply change the "theme" Plymouth uses.

The answer to your second question has also already been answered on the forum in at least a couple of older threads, though they may be a bit harder to find with the search function. There are at least a couple of different ways to accomplish that.
Old 16th April 2012, 03:25 AM
Cylinder57 Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks very much for the information!

I did go to this website before: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276691
However, I initially only changed the picture and didn't realize that I had to change the font AND the picture to achieve the results that I wanted. I now changed the font and the picture, and I have a more colorful boot screen. Please use that website to change your boot screen if you want to.

If I had misled you to the wrong site, I'm sorry about that. I made this mistake, and now I've corrected this problem.

Here are my instructions for changing the login screen (I had to change my login manager from lxdm to gdm, to my mild chagrin. Bootup time is slower . Sadly, my instructions require your login manager to be gdm too.) See the source websites below the instructions for details:

1. open terminal
2. su (Enter password after this)
3. (If you don't have these programs installed already) yum install gdm dbus-launch gnome-control-center
4. xhost + (Disable access control)
5. sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-control-center (You have to do sudo -u gdm because you want the command to be executed as account gdm.
At this point, even if there are warnings shown on the command line, a window should appear from this.
6. Click background and choose your new background.
7. vi /etc/sysconfig/desktop (If you want, substitute vi with whatever login manager you want.)
8. At the line: DISPLAYMANAGER=/usr/sbin/lxdm change lxdm to gdm.
9. Restart (Especially necessary if you're changing login managers. I'm not sure if you can just log out if you already had gdm in the first place.) and look at your background!
10. Log in and go to terminal.
11. xhost - (Reenable access control. This is just for security purposes.)

Main source (boot screen: ) http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276691

Main source (login screen: ) http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...t=Change+login

Single command line (vi /etc/sysconfig/desktop): http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...e+login+screen
For this source, look at post #8 to see the command line that I used. This doesn't provide instructions on changing my login manager to GDM or change my login screen, but it's just there for citation.

Last edited by Cylinder57; 16th April 2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: More information
Old 16th April 2012, 03:04 PM
PabloTwo Online

linuxchrome

I mentioned that there is more than one method to change the log-in screen background. I'm pretty sure you could have done that quite easily without having to install and use gdm had you found/used one of the "other" methods. Though I installed F16 from the XFCE spin CD, which uses gdm (I boot into the OpenBox DE). Here's what I did.

The default "verne" images come from /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/. There are sub-folders there for "normalish", "standard" and "wide", each with a "verne.png" image sized to best fit those different aspect ratio displays. Since I use a "wide" screen LCD monitor, the default background image that is used is:

/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/wide/verne.png

Using the "wide" format as an example, you could do one of two things here.
1) rename the original "verne.png" to something else, and put your desired image in that directory and name it "verne.png".
2) Leave the original "verne.png" file untouched, put your image file into the same directory, with whatever name you like, then edit the /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/verne.xml file to use your new image instead of the verne.png image. I used this 2nd method:
Code:
BASH:~/-> ls /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/wide/
far-cry-2-sunset.png  verne.png
and my edit to the verne.xml file:
Code:
BASH:~/-> grep -B2 -A4 far-cry /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/verne.xml 
<file>
	<!-- Wide 16:10 -->
	<size width="1920" height="1200">/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/wide/far-cry-2-sunset.png</size>
	<!-- Standard 4:3 -->
	<size width="2048" height="1536">/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/standard/verne.png</size>
	<!-- Normalish 5:4 -->
	<size width="1280" height="1024">/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/normalish/verne.png</size>
It's up to you if you want to try reverting back to the lxde display manager and implementing this method to see if this indeed does work with LXDE or not, though my bet is that it will.
Old 17th April 2012, 05:17 AM
Cylinder57 Offline

linuxfirefox

Can you please explain what the following 3 lines of code mean?

far-cry-2-sunset.png verne.png

Anyway everyone, this post is TECHNICALLY solved, as there is a solution. However, it requires changing of desktop to GDM. I'll get the login manager-independent solution.
Old 17th April 2012, 06:36 PM
PabloTwo Online

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylinder57 View Post
Can you please explain what the following 3 lines of code mean?

Anyway everyone, this post is TECHNICALLY solved, as there is a solution. However, it requires changing of desktop to GDM. I'll get the login manager-independent solution.
ls /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/wide/
This command lists the contents of of the /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/wide dirctory.

This is the result of "ls" command, showing two files, one of which I put there to use as my login screen background.

grep -B2 -A4 far-cry /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/verne.xml
This command picks out the line in the verne.xml file that I edited, showing how I merely replaced the image "verne.png" with the name of the image I wanted to use, and also displayed 2 lines BEFORE and 4 lines AFTER the targeted line, to help show it in better context.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:50 AM
Cylinder57 Offline

linuxfirefox

I've switched my login my manager to lxdm, and changing my verne.xml still does not work.

Note that I've done my GDM solution already...

Note that some details do not match my actual verne.xml file. This is to protect privacy. It's not such a significant detail that you won't truly understand what's going on.

Also, the indentations of the copy of the file below are wrong.

Under this line is a copy of my /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/verne.xml file.
__________________________________________________ _________________

<background>
<starttime>
<year>2012</year>
<month>04</month>
<day>14</day>
<hour>00</hour>
<minute>00</minute>
<second>00</second>
</starttime>

<static>
<duration>10000000000.0</duration>
<file>
<!-- Wide 16:10 -->
<size width="1920" height="1200">/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/wide/verne.jpg</size>
<!-- Standard 4:3 -->
<size width="800" height="600">/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/standard/fedora.jpg</size>
<!-- Normalish 5:4 -->
<size width="1280" height="1024">/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/normalish/verne.jpg</size>
</file>

Last edited by Cylinder57; 20th April 2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Spacing
Old 20th April 2012, 01:32 AM
PabloTwo Online

linuxchrome

Did you place a copy of the file fedora.jpg into the /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/standard/ folder?
Are you reasonably sure the "Standard 4:3" image file is being used with your monitor (probably so if you're are using a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor)?
Old 21st April 2012, 12:50 AM
Cylinder57 Offline

linuxfirefox

The answer is yes to both questions.

Actually, I solved the situation by myself.

My directions:

Note: You might not need to do # 1-4.

1. su (enter password)
2. Copy your preferred picture to /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/(wide, normalish or standard)
e.g. cp /(location of file) /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/(wide, normalish or standard)/(name.jpg)
3. vi /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/verne.xml
4. Change size width number (e.g. 800), size height (e.g. 600) and change /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/(wide, normalish or standard)/verne.jpg to whatever your file name is.
5. Save the file, exit and type: vi /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf
6. Look for bg=/usr/share/backgrounds/default.png
7. Change bg=/usr/share/backgrounds/default.png to something such as bg=/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/wide/fedora.jpg

Notes:
-If you’re using something other than Fedora 16, change “verne” to the Fedora version name. For example, Fedora 15 is “lovelock”.
-Depending on your monitor, you may keep or replace “wide” with “normalish” or “standard.”
- In fedora.jpg, choose whatever name you want. You have to keep the .jpg or whatever the file name of your picture is, though.
(e.g. change verne.jpg to wallpaper.jpg)

Last edited by Cylinder57; 21st April 2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Really solved! (Typo edit!)
Old 21st April 2012, 01:08 AM
PabloTwo Online

linuxchrome

Sorry that my suggestions haven't worked out for you. Also, I find is somewhat curious that in your listing of that section of the "verne.xml" file, all the stock image files are shown as jpegs (.jpg). They are all .png's in my F16 install.
Old 21st April 2012, 02:04 AM
Cylinder57 Offline

linuxfirefox

When I edited the the verne.jpg files, I made a mistake. If I ever list verne.jpg, I mean verne.png.

Also, don't worry if your suggestions haven't worked out for me. I've solved everything myself. Besides, I should thank you for suggesting the following website that I went to before you suggested it: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276691

Tags
boot, change, login, screen