Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 15th April 2012, 04:40 PM
synic Offline

linuxopera
Video Stutter Display Problems - Fedora 16/64 ATI 1366x768

I have a HP DM1-4108au Laptop - running an AMD e450 APU @ 1.65Ghz with integrated 6300 ATI graphics. It won’t play video. I’ve got 8 gig of ram installed.

I’ve tried VLC, Mplayer, Xine and Kaffeine.

I have all the codecs installed via AutoPlus and MJMwired’s website.

All the videos are MP4 and MOV files recorded from 2 different devices. Video stutters and stalles; somtimes I only get sound, other times it’s only video frames; but no video has played succussfully.

The problem is consistent accross all kernels I have installed.

Quote:
kernel.x86_64 3.3.1-2.fc16 @updates
kernel.x86_64 3.3.1-3.fc16 @updates
kernel.x86_64 3.3.1-5.fc16 @updates
I am running generic graphics driver (no ATI / Radeon).

Also, My hard drive is a 128 gig Crucial M4 with bios version .009 (so no stuttering). Disk utility give me 540Mb p/s read speed and 0.3ms access times, so it should be like lightning but, photo access time is appalling. It takes literally 2 or 3 seconds to display the next 4Mb photo when I am browsing a collection. I have another computer running an Nvidia card and perusing a photo collection is almost instant, even with 10Mb images.

I read somewhere that it could it be I need to add nomodset to my boot parameter? I’m not sure if this is the case running the default open ati driver. I think I'm running the 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2 driver. That's what hardware lister tells me. I've got no Xorg, just a vanilla kernel (well, with akmod for wl broadcom driver).

What could be the problem? How can I trouble shoot this? Where do I start? It's driving me nuts. I just want to show videos of the kids to their grandad and it's totally unwatchable.

Thanks.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:54 PM
QuantumKnot Offline

linuxsafari
Re: Video Stutter Display Problems - Fedora 16/64 ATI 1366x768

Have you tried playing in fallback mode?
Old 16th April 2012, 07:26 PM
synic Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumKnot View Post
Have you tried playing in fallback mode?
No I haven't. I was hoping that it wouldn't require that. I am using Gnome 3 but I don't want to downgrade to fallback mode.

There must be a setting somewhere that I haven't got ticked or something. I can't be the only person having this problem if that is the case.

Any other ideas?
Old 16th April 2012, 11:25 PM
QuantumKnot Offline

linuxfirefox

I was hoping you could try it so that we could eliminate other things.

Tags
16 or 64, ati, display, fedora, problems, stutter, video