Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th April 2012, 09:38 AM
bastani Offline

linuxfirefox
Installing EPSON Stylus CX4300 All-in-One Inkjet Printer In Fedora 16

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get my (old) EPSON Stylus CX4300 printer working under Fedora 16. Unfortunately after around one week of googling and struggling with different drivers and packages it does not work still.

The system detects it by default but there is no built-in drivers for CX4300. Instead it installs it using CX4200 drivers. However, the printer does not work. When I send a test page (using Print Test Page button) it just turns off!

Moreover, I cannot even use the scanner. In Simple Scan, for example, only the Integrated Camera is detected as a scanning device.

I found a bunch of drivers here: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/se...h/searchModule (searching for CX4300). But the problem is that first, I don't know how to install a src.rpm file (apparently there is pips-3.0-1.src.rpm file there that I have to install it). Second, when I run
Code:
./pips-scx4450-FedoraCore5-3.0-CLGE.install
(which seems to be the best choice of drivers for my system) I get the following error in the middle of installation:
Code:
Add printer setting at spool system...
Startup ekpd-tool...
ekpd-tool: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have not tried the scanner drivers yet as I think I will have the same problems because I don't know how to install them correctly. I apologize for my dumb questions. I am quit a beginner.

I appreciate if anyone can help and share his/her experiences with me.

All the bests,

Last edited by bastani; 7th April 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:26 AM
bastani Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Installing EPSON Stylus CX4300 All-in-One Inkjet Printer In Fedora 16

Update:
I asked help from one of my friends and I was told to find the drivers from http://www.openprinting.org/printers. I downloaded and installed the CX4200 epson-escpr drivers. Now when I send a print, the printer only prints one page including a single line of nonsense characters. Sometimes it also pulls in a second sheet of paper and stops in the middle of way. Then I have to unplug it and plug it back to restart and then manually take out this sheet.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:51 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

pips-3.0-1.src.rpm is a source file to create a rpm package. you will need to read this how-to guide

Scanner issue is a bug from sane-backends. You will have to manually edit a file named dll.conf inside this path /etc/sane.d/. Uncomment "epson" name and comment "epson2" like "#epson2". Make sure to create a copy in case you messed with the original.

Hope it helps and make sure to set the tag [SOLVED] if the problem is resolved.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:09 AM
bastani Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you very much for your response. I found another guide for installing the src.rpm files also. Nevertheless, it seems the drivers provided by EPSON's official site are quite old. Because when I try to compile the files (using any of the methods mentioned in these guides) I get the following error:
Code:
cupsfilter.c:40:16: error: 'NAME_MAX' undeclared here (not in a function)
I still have not worked on the scanner part of the problem. But I would use your beneficial comments later for that.

Thanks again,
Old 12th April 2012, 05:12 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Install compat-gcc to see if that solves the error.
Old 13th April 2012, 08:19 AM
bastani Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks again, it didn't help. I am still getting the same error message.

Tags
all-in-one, allinone, cx4300, epson, fedora, inkjet, installing, printer, scanner, stylus