Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th April 2012, 02:26 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox
How do I make my fc16 installation work again?

Hi. I installed fc16 on a partition beside, and after fc14, thereby overwriting Grub-legacy with Grub2. Preferring my fc14 boot-screen, I ran the Grub-legacy setup (basically just the 3 commands, 'find', 'root' & 'setup') and restored Grub-legacy successfully but without a fc16 boot-loader menu entry - as I suspected it would.

I then manually editing 'grub.conf', adding the following entry;

Quote:
title Fedora 16
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.0-4.fc16.i686 ro root=UUID=5a771fbf-67dd-4bd3-904e-a92eeb9d6d9d LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=uk rhgb quietx318 vga=788
initrd /boot/initramfs-3.3.0-4.fc16.img
When selected at bootup, I am treated to a black screen, no disk activity, nothing! The partition/UUID is correct, and when I try to boot with no initrd entry above, it at least tries to boot but fails pretty quickly with a "kernel panic" message. I have even tried installing Grub2 on fc14, which creates a menu-entry in Grub-legacy's 'grub.conf' file, but while selectable at bootup, this does not reveal the presence of the fc16 partition either!

My fc16 installation is perfect & fully up to date - the only thing I did between it going from working to non-working was go through the Grub-legacy restoration process.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here???
Old 8th April 2012, 12:52 AM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How do I make my fc16 installation work again?

Wow, who would have thought that this would have been so complicated to fix - I found the solution here;

http://linuxandfriends.com/2011/11/1...nux-partition/

In addition to what's described there, I also needed to issue a "sudo grub2-install /dev/sda" to modify the MBR to point to the fc16 partition again. It also introduced me to a new Linux concept -chroot'ing, nice!

Tags
fc16, installation, make, work