Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:24 PM
shabakeh Offline

linuxfirefox
password on a file

hi everyone

i need to put password on defined files. i need to put password for open a file even config files. how can i do that?thanks in advance
Old 4th April 2012, 10:15 AM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: password on a file

Have a read up on how to change ownership of files (with the command chown) and permissions of files (with the command chmod) -- that will allow you to determine which users can read, write to, or execute any given file.

Greater control is available using SElinux, but I have to say that I (personally) have never needed it, and so don't really understand it!
Old 4th April 2012, 12:27 PM
shabakeh Offline

windows_7chrome

i need to ask password even root want to open a file. how can i do that?
Old 4th April 2012, 06:12 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

It sounds like you need to use encryption.

If the files can be kept together in a single directory hierarchy, you could use eCryptFS – this creates an encrypted directory which you need a key (pass-phrase) to access.

If you want to lock files arbitrarily, you'd better look at GPG, but it's a bit overkill perhaps.
Old 4th April 2012, 06:41 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabakeh View Post
i need to ask password even root want to open a file. how can i do that?
Emacs has an easy frontend to GPG that lets you encrypt/decrypt files with a password (assuming you have the gnupg2 and pinentry-gtk[or -qt] packages installed). Just open the file in Emacs, go to Tools --> Encryption/Decryption --> Encrypt File, and you should be prompted for the password to use. Then whenever you open the encrypted file in Emacs you'll be prompted for the password to decrypt it. That's basically what I use for a password manager: an encrypted file of passwords.
Old 6th April 2012, 12:40 AM
bonedome Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello
bcrypt and ccrypt are very small and very simple to use, they use quite old encryption methods that won't stop the FBI or MI5 but good enough for most people

Tags
file, password