Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd April 2012, 04:09 PM
Wayne Online

linuxubuntufirefox
25 Years of IBM’s OS/2

Ahh, memories of Warp 3 and Warp 4....

25 Years of IBM’s OS/2: The Strange Days and Surprising Afterlife of a Legendary Operating System

http://techland.time.com/2012/04/02/...#ixzz1qtaaZHyF
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:06 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: 25 Years of IBM’s OS/2

A top class read.

Considering, I had not even seen/heard of a computer when all these had been going on this article was a nice bit of history to know.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:20 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

linuxfirefox

Yep, I got in on it when 1.0 hit. Then became a beta tester because it beat the crap out of "Double Dos" and Windows. Was running a multi-line BBS system using US robotics modems, man talk about a blast from the past.... Thanks Wayne for reminding me how old I am....
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:21 AM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Considering, I had not even seen/heard of a computer when all these had been going on this article was a nice bit of history to know.
God, you just made me feel so old...

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:09 AM
Misfit138 Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Wow. Great link, great read.
For some reason, I love Big Blue history.
I had a Commodore 64 in my bedroom that I used for games and writing ridiculous BASIC programs back in the day.
One day my dad's company shipped him a brand new IBM PC/XT for inventory management.
I'll never forget taking that thing out of the box- the anticipation, the new computer smell, and the WEIGHT of that thing! It was like an Abrams tank.
Powering it up with that big old power switch and the green monochrome monitor...my heart pounded..it must have been how Dr. Frankenstein felt when he flipped the switch. I was smitten.

It beeped and churned.

**512KB RAM. 10MB HDD. 9600 baud modem..this thing was a damned supercomputer! **

My C64 had brilliant colors, made crisp 3 voice music and played awesome games....but the big steel PC made it look like a toy for a child.

Then things changed, and fast. My dad lost his job and had to give back the PC. My C64 went out of fashion and years went by without me owning a computer.

By the time I had a listening ear for the PC industry again, Windows was the operating system to have, and OS/2 was just a rumor of a promise of something better. Something that was never quite realized, I guess.
I am always rooting for the underdog, and even though I never saw OS/2 or a PS/2 running it, I still had an emotional attachment to IBM that made me wish they would conquer MS with their infamous OS/2.
When it came time to install GNU/Linux as my main OS in 2006, I chose JFS- IBM's Journaling File System out of respect. My main box still runs it.
Go big blue.
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:44 AM
Wayne Online

linuxubuntufirefox

I still have my Warp 3 and Warp 4 disks, a Japanese edition of Warp 3 and a copy of OS/2 2.1 all sitting in a box. I also have eComStation 1 and 1.1 and tons of OS/2 software. I must of spent a fortune on it all. What irked me is that some of the software had fewer features than the Windows versions but cost much more!

I freaked out a (Japanese) IBM service engineer many years ago. Took the Thinkpad I owned in for repair and he expected to see Win 98 boot up Must of made his day
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:04 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Mike View Post
Yep, I got in on it when 1.0 hit. Then became a beta tester because it beat the crap out of "Double Dos" and Windows. Was running a multi-line BBS system using US robotics modems, man talk about a blast from the past.... Thanks Wayne for reminding me how old I am....

Same here.

Ran OS/2 Warp running a multiline BBS for quite awhile. Just install Ray Gwinn's SIO fossil drivers, and nothing could beat OS/2.

Ran Dos and desqview from the mid 80's up till Warp 3 was released, then switched to OS/2. I still have 8 of the Courier dual standards that I got on their sysop program. Since have upgraded them to 56k with a daughterboard upgrade and got 6 of the courier i-modems.

My first BBS was run on a 300 baud modem and no hard drives.. 2 5.25" floppy drives was it.

Geez. Now I feel really old.. Let me go take my Geritol and hit the sack.
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:49 AM
Wayne Online

linuxubuntufirefox

Desqview and QEMM-386, another blast from the past! Ran Windows 3.11 with PC-Tools for Windows Shell. It was almost like OS/2 and had multiple desktops and other cool stuff that Windows still doesn't have

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

http://toastytech.com/guis/cpdesk.html
Old 3rd April 2012, 06:03 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Windows 3.11 was the last usable Windows version.. in my opinion