Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th March 2012, 11:49 PM
knowtown Offline

linuxchrome
How to turn of laptop monitor while docked?

I finally bit the bullet and installed Fedora 16 on my Dell laptop and everything went perfectly except one thing. I cannot get my laptop monitor to turn off when the lid is closed and the laptop is docked to a docking station. I had similar issues back in the day on older versions of Fedora but I have always been able to resolve it fairly quickly but this time I cannot find a solution.

If the laptop is off and docked and I power it on, everything works great and I can see they boot messages on the monitor that is connected to the docking station and finally the default wallpaper appears but nothing else. I finally realized that my mouse would go off to the left of the screen so figured it thought there was another monitor. If I open the lid as far as I can while being docked I can see the login greeter on the laptop screen. I was able to log in, go to the display settings and drag my screens so that my docking station monitor is on the left and my laptop monitor was on the left and drag the bar to the docking station monitor becomes the default (or at least that was what I hoped).

However, if I reboot the login greeter still goes to the laptop monitor and not my docking station monitor so I cannot log in with out opening my laptop and trying to navigate the mouse to that screen and going form there. Once I log in, the bar and all windows do open on the docking station monitor. So it is just the initial login greeter that is still going to the laptop monitor and I don't know how to change that.

Also, because it still sees my laptop monitor as being on, my mouse travels past the right edge of the screen to the second monitor. In previous versions of Fedora, I could configure it so that when I was docked the laptop monitor would power off with the lid closed so that was not a problem but I cannot find any settings like that now. If I turn off the monitor in the display properties window, then when I undock the monitor stays off so I always have to remember to turn that back on before undocking.

If anyone knows how to set things up for a docking station correctly and can point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

working and testing a bit more I find that if I turn off the laptop monitor in the display system preferences while it is docked I can successfully undock and when I open the lid I still have the monitor available. Then when I dock again I do get the log in screen but it is off center like it only displaying the area of my laptop screen on my larger monitor. Once I log in it adjusts and everything gets back to normal.

So the only problem that remains is getting the first login greeter screen to display on the correct monitor when the laptop is docked. If I can figure that out everything will be back to normal. Does anyone know where to find the configuration/settings for that?

Thanks.

Tags
docked, laptop, monitor, turn