Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 28th March 2012, 10:49 PM
DeathFromAbove Offline

linuxfirefox
Smile My first day with Fedora

My first day with Fedora and i have to say that i more than pleased.

Installation
The installation was fast, faster than any Linux installation ever and im not going even mention windows.

After the first boot and login, the WiFi adapter found my iPhone which had internetsharing enabled and i had internetaccess

Installed Autoplus to get Flash, mp3 codes and other essentials.

Nvidia drivers, were a bit different than Ubuntu, but nothing spectacular. Installation went through without a hassle.

Spotify is next on the list.

Overall, im more than pleased. Now there is things like getting some HP Pavilion things like the touchpad with the volume and so on to work.

GO Fedora!
Old 28th March 2012, 11:09 PM
tuxor Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: My first day with Fedora

Nice to hear and concordant with my experience with Fedora

For your touchpad (probably a so-called clickpad?) you should consider building the latest xf86-input-synaptics (called xorg-drv-synaptics in yum) from source: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...put-synaptics/

Only two weeks ago support for clickpads has been integrated and is present since 1.5.99.901. If you have questions, let me know, a friend also has a notebook with clickpad (hp probook).

By the way, which wifi chip do you use?

Last edited by tuxor; 28th March 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:50 PM
DeathFromAbove Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Nice to hear and concordant with my experience with Fedora

For your touchpad (probably a so-called clickpad?) you should consider building the latest xf86-input-synaptics (called xorg-drv-synaptics in yum) from source: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...put-synaptics/

Only two weeks ago support for clickpads has been integrated and is present since 1.5.99.901. If you have questions, let me know, a friend also has a notebook with clickpad (hp probook).

By the way, which wifi chip do you use?
Thanks, ill have a look.

It's a Broadcom chip, ill get more details tomorrow.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:44 AM
Camberwell Offline

linuxfirefox

Congrats man!

I use Spotify and various other programs all the time on my F16 with PlayOnLinux.....

http://rpm.playonlinux.com/playonlinux.repo

yum install playonlinux

Martin
Operating System: Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)
Desktop Environment: KDE 4.1.12
Old 29th March 2012, 08:09 AM
GrezH Offline

linuxfirefox

I started on this little journey around the same time as Jani and my first day was OK too, feeling my way through a strange (though strangely familiar) landscape. One or two mishaps along the way, but helpfully sorted out by the guys on here.

Enjoying it!

Those that understand ternary and like this joke
Those that understand ternary and don't like this joke
Those that don't understand ternary, and don't get this joke!
Old 29th March 2012, 03:33 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post

Installation
The installation was fast, faster than any Linux installation ever and im not going even mention windows.

[ ...]
ha ha ! I know how it feels It would also have been pleasing to know that the monitor has correct resolution and most hardware drivers were also there instead of fishing them from the web (or for some simply updating) as is the case in Windows installation.

Have fun
Old 30th March 2012, 07:22 AM
DeathFromAbove Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
ha ha ! I know how it feels It would also have been pleasing to know that the monitor has correct resolution and most hardware drivers were also there instead of fishing them from the web (or for some simply updating) as is the case in Windows installation.

Have fun
I got lucky with the resolution, my laptop has 1440x900 resolution and it was correct right away.

One thing particulary liked with Fedora, it isn´t bloated with stuff at the beginning, compairing to Linux Mint for example.

Another thing which surprised me was the hotkey functions (See image below), worked fine!!!

So Fedora.....
Old 30th March 2012, 09:24 PM
Crempel Offline

linuxfirefox
Smile Re: My first day with Fedora

Whilst I joined this forum some time ago, I have basically used Ubuntu; I must admit mainly because it seemed to be somewhat "easier to configure". Many years ago my favorite distro was RedHat 7.3, and when Gnome 3 came and Ubuntu hat Unity and I somewhat did not want the "normal" menu-type desktop anymore (KDE, LXDE etc), I tried gnome-shell on Ubuntu = disaster!

So I installed Fedora 16 and fiddled around a little - got EVERYTHING working to my liking (4 GB RAM, AMD 64 dual core, Nvidia GS 7200) - Gnome-shell works perfectly, and I am totally happy.

Well, it really was not my first day with Fedora, but for quite some time it is my first serious atempt to use it. It is great!

Cheers
Old 31st March 2012, 10:47 AM
DeathFromAbove Offline

linuxfirefox

Ok...i am over the moon with Fedora! This was a 99% working out of the box installation. Almost everything works.

Webcam - no problems,
Wifi - no problems

The quickplay above the Function keys works perfectly with Parole Media Player. The volume control, mute, play, stop change tracks.
I haven't found a DVD application yet which will work with the quickplay DVD button, but this is the only thing which does not work, but that is the 1% i could not care less about.

A few minor glitches - but those can be fixed.

Cheese - webcam works fine, but when trying to change effects, the whole computer hangs. Ill look into it later and check the output.

So the final verdict: Fedora is the top Linux flavour i have ever used! So a big thanks goes to all the developers of Fedora, the community and all the members of the forum!

My computer is: Pavilion DV9779EO and i will add the information to the Laptop part of the forum.

Next mission... my girlfriends HP Pavilion G62....is the next in line. Bye Windows 7!
Old 1st April 2012, 01:34 AM
Bandit Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
GO Fedora!

Welcome to the not-so-Dark side

Starting to see a lot of old Ubuntu users fleeing that sinking ship.

I started using Ubuntu with the 5.04 release and back then I did a lot to help pioneer the move to 64bit for a lot of users. It was one of the best distros back then, sadly now a lot has changed including the atmosphere around it. Which honestly saddens me.

Until F16 i had not used Fedora since core 5. The stability has improved greatly with everything. Gnome3 still has some bugs, but thats not the fedora developers fault and most of those are supposed to be addressed with 3.4. So I am very excited to see how F17 fairs. But so far Fedora has now became by far my fav distro and I used to be a huge hard core debian user. So thats saying something..

Cudos to the devs..
Old 1st April 2012, 05:02 PM
GrezH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Welcome to the not-so-Dark side

Starting to see a lot of old Ubuntu users fleeing that sinking ship.

I started using Ubuntu with the 5.04 release and back then I did a lot to help pioneer the move to 64bit for a lot of users. It was one of the best distros back then, sadly now a lot has changed including the atmosphere around it. Which honestly saddens me.

Until F16 i had not used Fedora since core 5. The stability has improved greatly with everything. Gnome3 still has some bugs, but thats not the fedora developers fault and most of those are supposed to be addressed with 3.4. So I am very excited to see how F17 fairs. But so far Fedora has now became by far my fav distro and I used to be a huge hard core debian user. So thats saying something..

Cudos to the devs..
TBH, the problem I found with Ubuntu since 10.04 was purely its seeming inherent bugginess - things working, then not working, then working again; logging on to 10.04 to find it had lost all readable fonts and trying to pick my way back to getting something readable instead of empty boxes where the letters should be; inability to record from line-in (although playback worked fine); and finally with 11.10 the wireless issues and the way it seems to corrupt gconf, debconf et al, which has forced me to reinstall 4 times since October.

Don't get me wrong, up until then, I thought Ubuntu was excellent and after the truly dreadful experience I had with Vista there was no way I ever wanted to return to Windows. However, I'm currently enjoying the experience of Fedora 16 (although I haven't plucked up the courage to install the nVidia drivers, yet!).

In terms of the UI, I think both Gnome 3 and Unity have their plusses and minuses. It's interesting how if I now go back to the old Gnome 2 environment, how odd the old menus feel and how I'm now struggling to find the location of some programs!

I suppose the fact that it's difficult to customise either is one thing that I've found difficult, although I always found the Unity Ambiance theme very easy on the eye, but I assume that we'll get more choices as the UIs get further down the line.

I have to say that having spent a couple of hours on my wife's Windows 7 netbook the other day, the Linux experience is much more user-friendly, reboot- and nag-free than that particular OS, and I sometimes tend to forget the hassle of messing around with anti-virus and anti-malware software, the dreaded update sequence that invariably ends up with loads of screens demanding that you reboot or Windows will do it for you in x minutes, crashes in windows that you can't kill and all that stuff.

For me, GNU/Linux is the OS. And currently, Fedora is the flvour of choice!

Old 1st April 2012, 05:16 PM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Next mission... my girlfriends HP Pavilion G62....is the next in line. Bye Windows 7!
May I ask: How does Fedora fare in the Girlfriend Test?
Old 1st April 2012, 07:15 PM
DeathFromAbove Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleph View Post
May I ask: How does Fedora fare in the Girlfriend Test?
She is impressed on how it worked on my HP and she does not like Windows at all, so she is positive to have Fedora installed on her laptop.
Old 1st April 2012, 08:55 PM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_7firefox

I have to say that having spent a couple of hours on my wife's Windows 7 netbook
Quote:
the other day, the Linux experience is much more user-friendly, reboot- and nag-free than that particular OS, and I sometimes tend to forget the hassle of messing around with anti-virus and anti-malware software, the dreaded update sequence that invariably ends up with loads of screens demanding that you reboot or Windows will do it for you in x minutes, crashes in windows that you can't kill and all that stuff.
This is why I turn off automatic updates. Simple solution. What other nags did you encounter? I'm curious. Thanks.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:42 AM
GrezH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197 View Post
I have to say that having spent a couple of hours on my wife's Windows 7 netbook

This is why I turn off automatic updates. Simple solution. What other nags did you encounter? I'm curious. Thanks.
"You have unused icons on your desktop" (that Windows put there when I installed some programs) - do you want to get rid of them?

No matter how hard I try to turn off this function, next time I log on it reappears like the common cold.

"You need to update Avast! Antivirus program." So I do. This is followed by a requirement to reboot - or if you don't reboot straight away, it's a series of screens telling you that if you don't reboot now, it wil reboot for you in 15 minutes and counting... then you tell it not to and within a matter of minutes it's repeating the same old stuff over again.

"You need to update Flash player and then Adobe Reader" (followed by reboot.. etc)

Plug in a USB stick and I then get "What do you want to do with this?" followed by a huge list to click from. So you click on your preferred optin and you're confronted with a black screen saying words to the effect of "are you sure? You may well damage your computer by doing this." If you're going to arn me against doing this, why give me the option in the first place? Gone are the days of good old DOS:

C:\> e:
E:\> setup

and off it goes....................

[rant]
TBH it's like having your mother standing behind you while you're working and reminding you to do stuff you've got in hand and you know all to well about, but she just won't take the hint when you tell her that you know what you're doing and there's no need to keep reminding you about it.

One thing I would never feel safe doing in Windows is leaving the computer to do some video rendering unattended overnight, because the chances are it will reboot itself while you're not there to stop it, and in my experience, other than turning off automatic updates, there's no way of stoppng it doing this.
[/rant]

This was one of the things that always impressed me with GNU/Linux. The updates can be installed as and when you want to install them, they don't require a reboot sequence unless it's kernel updates, and the machine refrains from nagging you about doing it. Reminds you once. That's it. It treats me like I own the machine and not the other way round!

I'm going for a lie down now.....