Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th March 2012, 09:40 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 17 Guide input

Google repos are automatically added the first time we install their downloaded apps (Chrome, Earth).
Old 28th March 2012, 11:29 PM
MorphingDragon Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
Google repos are automatically added the first time we install their downloaded apps (Chrome, Earth).
Yes, but having the repos already there removes the need to have extra text considering 32-bit and 64-bit linux users. Not only that but I have a fair few international viewers where having only text as the differentiator between 64-bit and 32-bit terminal commands is ambiguous or confusing when using Google Translate.

Last edited by MorphingDragon; 28th March 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:26 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

An advantage of the automatic setup is that if Google changes the repo address it will be set properly. But anyway, Chrome's current i386 repo:
Code:
$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo 
[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
Old 29th March 2012, 03:23 PM
MorphingDragon Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
An advantage of the automatic setup is that if Google changes the repo address it will be set properly. But anyway, Chrome's current i386 repo:
Code:
$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo 
[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
I know where the repo data is.

Actually, if Google changes the repo URL (which they won't, because it will break so many computers its not even funny with not way to update it), I can push an update to the RPM using MBS Repo. Google's way is actually less flexible, because they have no way of pushing updates to the repository information neatly. They're reliant on the user using the latest stable URL, but that doesn't help existing install if a change occurs, The only way your could handle that is with a secondary repository, or a ruminants strategy, which is also silly.
Old 30th March 2012, 02:09 PM
lsatenstein Online

windows_7firefox

Dear Morphing Dragon,

It is great of you to want to consolidate the documentation of we users of Fedora.

After 7 years with Fedora, some of my frustrations have been with the lack of in-between release Documentation updates. It seems that documentation is frozen with the release of a new Fedora version.

A Wikipaedia approach to documentation should be considered, whereby people who actually create or use one of the major topics as indicated below, contribute, whereas end-users such as myself are able to contribute as well.

I am retired with some hours available to work on documentation. I am not a student, bound by exams, or studies, or a younger member, with job, family and children as priorities.

Quote Morphing Dragon
So, I'm going to start writing my Fedora (Setup) Guide for Fedora 17 soon and I'm incorporating some big changes/additions as suggested by friends and people at University. I thought it might be a good idea to ask feedback from FedoraForums, as you guys are somewhat a target for the guides, but also a way that the guides get found out about.

I'm basically looking for new software that should be added, changes to how the guide should be laid out things like that. I don't get a lot of active feedback, unless something breaks so it would be nice to get some active feedback on how to improve it.

What I have so far:

## Adding program/softwares

Development Environments (Specifically C, C++, Objective-C, C#, Java/SWT, Scala, MySql, Firebrand SQL, Haskell, Python, Ruby, Perl *Big Breath*, HTML/XHTML/CSS/Javascript, LAMPP, Qt Cross Platform, PostgreSQL) and any relevant IDEs.

Framworks Setup (Specifically Hadoop, OpenGL, OpenCL, OpenAL, COLLADA, OpenVG, OpenMAX, Bullet Physics, CUDA, QT, GTK, GNUStep, Django, Rails)

Creative Softwares (Blender, Audacity, Cinelerra ... maybe)

Replicating all content in the DangerMouse's Autoten script.

Games (Nexuiz and some other pop oss games)

## Guide Layout

Each section will be split into its own WP post for manageability and to avoid the current wall of text.

## Repo Management

RPM Creation for Google repos, Leigh's cinnamon repos etc.

Add Opera to MBS Repo.
ENDQUOTE

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Re special versions, search for Fedora Spins, and therein there are versions tailored for many needs. You may ask or suggest a version that could become a great distribution for your profession.

Leslie
in Montreal
Old 1st April 2012, 03:06 PM
MorphingDragon Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
snip
I considered a wiki approach, it certainly has its benefits if you can gather a large enough contribution base and implement a quality control scheme. However I'm thinking a Feedback approach might be best for such a small sized piece of documentation at first, which can easily be extended to a Wiki later. It also has the benefit of developing possible article templates for which contributors can base their own off.

There used to be a large Fedora wiki at FedoraGuide.info Unfortunately, it was bad and incomprehensible a lot of the time. Now it doesn't exist.
Old 11th April 2012, 01:09 PM
MorphingDragon Offline

linuxchrome

I've started work on it now that I've finished my assignemnts for the current break.

YOu can see what I'm up to here:
http://www.missingbox.co.nz/?cat=12

Tags
fedora, guide, input