Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th March 2012, 10:17 AM
hallh Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Idle - File "/usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin/printdriver" has insecure permissions (0100

I'm trying to print a document on my Lexmark x2670, but I'm denied. I own the computer and printer connected to it, and I installed the printer driver from the Lexmark website. When I attempt to print a test page, I get:

Idle - File "/usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin/printdriver" has insecure permissions (0100775/uid=0/gid=1).

If I am the administrator of my computer, why can't I get permission to print a simple document?

I'd appreciate a rapid reply to this message.

Thanx!
Old 26th March 2012, 10:46 AM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Idle - File "/usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin/printdriver" has insecure permissions (

It is not that that you don't have permission to print, but that the program/script being used to print is not secured.

Very likely it is the file /usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin/printdriver.

If this is the driver it is allowing non-root write to the file (gid 1 can write).

Try making the file 755 instead (rwxr-xr-x).
Old 26th March 2012, 02:45 PM
hallh Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Re: Idle - File "/usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin/printdriver" has insecure permissions (

Thanx for your reply! However, I'm unable to edit the file permissions. I get a message stating I do not have permission to make changes and I can't log in as 'root'.

Would you know how I can access the file so that I can make a appropriate changes?
Old 26th March 2012, 02:57 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Idle - File "/usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin/printdriver" has insecure permissions (

You have to su to root in a terminal window.
Old 26th March 2012, 03:14 PM
AlanSac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Another tool to do this is beesu, a nice gui manager for a lot of command line utilities. Using package manager, check all three beesu entries. After installation, click on it in the activities menu, and choose all the ones you want - you can edit, change permissions, change ownership, create, delete, etc. To use it, highlight the file/folder you want, right click and select scripts, then select the beesu script you want. It's easy to use! The actual reference is: http://honeybeenet.altervista.org/beesu/
Old 26th March 2012, 04:11 PM
hallh Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Re: Idle - File "/usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin/printdriver" has insecure permissions (

Thanx for all the help!

But even after changing the permissions, I'm still getting the SAME error message. Is there another step I need to follow?

Tags
0100, file, idle, insecure, permissions