Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st May 2012, 12:10 AM
xjonquilx Offline

linuxfirefox
Help installing ATI driver

I'm using Fedora 17 and an AMD A6-3400M processor with ATI HD 6410D. I tried downloading the driver from ATI's website and doing an automatic install, but after I rebooted the system hung on the sendmail service.

Has anyone with this CPU/GPU successfully installed the ATI drivers on Fedora 17? What's your secret? Or, do you have any suggestions on how I can proceed with troubleshooting why this won't install correctly?
Old 31st May 2012, 12:54 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera
Re: Help installing ATI driver

all the recent releases of Catalyst are not compatible with the xorg-server version Fedora 17 uses. Catalyst 12.5 should be released soon. If not in this week, probably next week. Maybe it will be compatible with Fedora 17.

uninstall the proprietary driver, and use the default Radeon driver. From console you can uninstall it either via "aticonfig --uninstall" or via the file /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh (or /usr/share/amd/fglrx-uninstall, no idea if the directory is still called ati)

to boot into console mode, you can add 3 to the boot line of Fedora (when you see the grub menu select the Fedora 17 entry, press e to edit it; at the line where it says "linux /boot/vmlinuz...rhgb quiet" add 3, press F10 to boot)
Old 31st May 2012, 01:19 AM
xjonquilx Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for letting me know!
Old 1st June 2012, 07:21 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

AMD/ATI didn't and won't release Catalyst 12.5, they just skip to 11.6.

A 12.6 Beta driver is released: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTExMTU

Fedora 17 users with Radeon 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx series cards will have to stick with the default FOSS driver.

Tags
ati, driver, installing