Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th March 2012, 04:33 PM
gallicbear Offline

windows_7firefox
boot screen/menu not visible

Trying to figure out why I cannot see my graphical boot screen in Fedora 16.
I have an HP laptop, with a HD 6480G radeon display adapter. The display configuration in Fedora uses an ati/amd driver, wich works perfect, except for the boot menu.
This is the content of my /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=”Fedora”
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”nomodeset rdblacklist=radeon rdblacklist=radeonhd rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 rd.lvm.lv=vg_berniefedora16/lv_root KEYTABLE=us quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.lvm.lv=vg_berniefedora16/lv_swap rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8”
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x768x24
GRUB_GFXLOAD_LINUX=keep
GRUB_BACKGROUND=/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/wide/verne.png

My display in settings can put up the following resolutions: 1366x768, 1360x768, 1280x768, 1280x720, 1024x768, 1024x600, 800x600.

While I experimented last night I was able to see the boot screen once (including the verne background). Then it showed me the white logo in the middle as it went on to the login screen.
So I know it is possible, but I have not been able to replicate this. Since then I have tried with the depth in the gfxmode, and without. No results. Now I don not necessarily care for the Verne background. I can use any other picture. Would appreciate your tips or suggestions. Thanks and regards.
Old 20th March 2012, 04:47 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox
Re: boot screen/menu not visible

At first, change plymouth theme to "details".
Then update grub2.

EDIT:
To do so, simply copy-paste the code into a terminal:
Code:
sudo plymouth-set-default-theme details --rebuild-initrd
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
EDIT2:
dont double post:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=277822

Last edited by sea; 20th March 2012 at 04:53 PM.

Tags
boot, screen or menu, visible