Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th March 2012, 09:45 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: Issuses in dual boot - Fedora 16 with Windows 7

/dev/sda is a 500GB hard disk drive (512e Advanced Format)
/dev/sdb is a 1GB USB stick?

Is there another hard drive that's not listed?

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

OK I think I understand. You want to have both Windows 7 and Fedora 16 on the same 500GB hard drive, which is /dev/sda. And you're not seeing /dev/sda once you're in anaconda.

Here's my understanding: Since you've told the Windows 7 installer to use the entire 500GB hard drive, the only installation type you have available is "Shrink Current System" but you chose "Create Custom Layout." The entire disk is full with Window 7, so if you want Fedora installed, the primary Windows 7 volume needs to be shrunk first.

Or you need to repartition your drive with the space pre-allocated for Windows and Fedora, reinstall Windows 7, and then install Fedora using "Use Free Space" or "Create Custom Layout."

Either way, I suggest you choose one of the pre-sets: Use Free Space or Shrink Current System. If you also check the "Review and modify partitioning layout" you will have the opportunity to confirm/deny what anaconda intends to do before it does it. By choosing "Create Custom" I think you lose any ability to shrink an existing system, and that's why you're only seeing /dev/sdb as an option.
Old 15th March 2012, 10:23 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Might it be because he chose to "No, keep any data" in screen-shot #2, causing Anaconda to ignore sda? If so, then it probably is ultimately due to the presence of the empty GPT table confusing Anaconda and causing it to ignore the MBR table.
Old 15th March 2012, 10:29 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Oh yeah, I think if "no keep any data" was chosen, it would disqualify sda from even being a subsequent option down the road.
Old 16th March 2012, 04:41 AM
Anirudha Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Yes.. I did select - "No keep my data" option. But the 500GB HDD still has got some free space (not partitioned by windows). And it is not recongnized because its in /dev/sda.

Now, I have two options two to proceed with -

1. Select "No keep my data" and then use option for use free space/ shrink the system. I am doubtful if it works (guess I had already tried this).

2. Select option to discard data (don't know if it would keep windows partitions) and then use custom layout/ use free space/ shrink the system.

Will try out both options and keep you posted.

Once again thanks for the help!!
Old 16th March 2012, 07:00 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

OK I'm confused. There is an MBR, Boot Info Script sees that, and I see there's ~98G on sda that is free space. Yet you're getting the "could not detect partitions or file systems on this device" message? That is very strange.

Let's try a fresh restart with the LiveCD. Bring up a Terminal window and type:
parted -l
and post the full results (as an attachment, or use "[CODE]" tags so it formats correctly).

Then launch the installer until you get this "could not detect partitions" message again. At that point, I'd like for you to quit the installer, head back to terminal and package up the contents of /tmp. Something like:
Code:
su
tar -czvf anaconda.tgz /tmp/
cp anaconda.tgz ~/Documents/
Now your liveuser will have access in the documents folder, to the anaconda.tgz package of log files, which you can directly post here from within the liveuser environment using firefox. The logs will vanish upon restarting. One of the logs should hopefully describe why it thinks this drive doesn't have a partition map.

I don't think it's because this is a 512e AF drive, because I've installed F16 on one myself and don't recall getting this error message. Hmmm.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

OK I've been able to reproduce the poster's original problem in a Virtual Machine, in F17, and I consider it a bug. Or at least a buggy message. Here's what I did.

I created a GPT disk manually, using gdisk. I then used fdisk to create a competing MBR with the same information. I then launched the Fedora installer, and sure enough it says the device is blank, unpartitioned, or virtual. Well, yes it's virtual but that's not the problem because the original poster is getting this message and I think it's the exact same situation because the first Fedora attempt created a GPT. And then installing Windows would have created an MBR without first destroying the GPT. And now Fedora is seeing both MBR and GPT, and getting confused, and produces a confusing message.

When I choose, Yes discard any data, this blows away the MBR and all data! Very uncool.
When I choose, No, keep any data, it says no usable disks have been found and can't proceed.

I think I have a work around and will post it in a minute.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Boot from the LiveCD, go to Terminal
Code:
su
yum install gdisk
Then confirm that you want to install it. Next,
Code:
gdisk /dev/sda
Have it use the MBR, option 1.
'x' to go to the experts menu
'z' to ZAP the GPT. You will say yes to the first option to blank the GPT. And then say no to the second option so that you do NOT blank the MBR. gdisk will then exit.

Now, depending on whether the kernel has received an update for the change in partition map, maybe you can proceed directly to the installer. It might be safer, especially if you get a message after existing gdisk that the kernel is using the old partition map, to just reboot from the LiveCD. You will no longer get the "could not detect partitions".

The installation type for you to choose is "Use Free Space". You can also check "Review and modify partition layout" so you can confirm that it sees your three NTFS (marked as unknown) partitions, and will create a new extended partition with LVM for Fedora. Your Windows 7 installation will stay intact and not need to be shrunk.

Still ... what a nasty user experience.

---------- Post added 16th March 2012 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 15th March 2012 at 10:59 PM ----------

Anirudha, before fixing this with gdisk, if you can run
parted -l

And let me know if you get a warning message like this:
Warning: /dev/sda contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table. However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should. Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an msdos partitiontable. Is this a GPT partition table? yes/no?

It would be very helpful in providing feedback to parted and anaconda developers if you can do this before fixing the problem as I outlined above. You can answer the above warning message question with control-Z.

Last edited by chrismurphy; 16th March 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 16th March 2012, 05:55 PM
Anirudha Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

Yes.. sure, I will follow the steps you mentioned and post the results.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

I got the warning message you mentioned - ... Is this a GPT partition table? yes/no?

Now, trying gdisk lets see if it works...

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

yep! works perfectly as you said... kudos!!!

Thank you so much for help.
Old 16th March 2012, 06:44 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

OK I'm going to provide feedback for anaconda and parted devs. I think this behavior sucks, quite frankly.
Old 16th March 2012, 06:48 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Indeed. There was another thread about this somewhere on the forum that might be useful, but I couldn't find it.
Old 16th March 2012, 11:38 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

FWIW, there is a better and easier solution to this problem, for future reference.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

Bullet 1 applies to this thread. You'll download the package from sourceforge and use RPM to install instead of yum.
Old 17th March 2012, 05:48 AM
Anirudha Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Just after the sigh of relief... here is another issue... never had those with suse or ubuntu.

The error for "could not detect partitions.. " was resolved by deleting the gpt.

But now, I encountered another problem. I have around 56GB free space on my 500GB HDD. Its an unpartitioned space. Now when I use anaconda to select option for "Use Free Space", it throws error that the disk does not contain enough space. Same case whit shrinking the system.

When I select "Create custom layout", it wont allow to create ext4 partition.(attached screenshots).

Problems seem never ending
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	85
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	22858   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	75
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	22859   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot3.png
Views:	68
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	22860   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot4.png
Views:	67
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	22861   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot5.png
Views:	81
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	22862  

Old 17th March 2012, 11:30 AM
Smoking Tux Online

windows_xp_2003firefox

You can't create more then 4 primary partitions...
Old 17th March 2012, 04:30 PM
Anirudha Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Finally got it installed

Still feel that anaconda doesn't provide proper error messages and options... anyways.

Deleted one primary partition with windows disk partition manager and then installed F16 on free space...
It needed EasyBCD to add boot option for fedora.

Thanks for help!

Last edited by Anirudha; 17th March 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:27 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

I'm curious how you got in this situation in the first place, at the point where you went back and installed Windows 7.

I have a GPT disk, and when I try to install Vista, it says Vista can't be installed on a GPT disk. Presumably Windows 7 gave you a similar error. So how, exactly, did you recover from this problem so that Windows would install to this disk.

While I can reproduce this with gdisk and fdisk, I'm not figuring out how you got into this mess with the Windows installer.
Old 19th March 2012, 08:00 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Good point..

Windows 7 will only install on a GPT disk if you have a uEFI system. if you are using BIOS, it will not install to a GPT disk. (I know because I ran into this problem just recently here on a machine where I threw Windows 7 on it, and installed the F17 alpha.)
Old 19th March 2012, 08:05 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

It would be helpful if Anirudha can post how this installation was allowed to proceed despite the disk being GPT. It must be another tool came into play, rather than the Microsoft recommended procedure, which says to use 'diskpart' and its 'clean' command. I tested this on Vista and it obliterates the primary and backup GPT entirely. Everything is zero'd.

However if I use util-linux fdisk, it only creates a new valid legacy MBR at LB0. The primary and backup GPTs are left intact. I will argue this is sufficient for anaconda/parted to ignore the now stale GPT, but they don't. While it would be nice, there can be no expectation for legacy MBR only tools like fdisk to know about, and thus wipe, GPTs.

I consider it a sort of dual dance bug with anaconda and parted.

Tags
boot, dual, fedora, issuses, windows