Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th March 2012, 03:42 PM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfirefox
Brasero data buring issue

Hi,

I have installed Fedora 16 32 bit. I have also installed Brasero program to write stuff to DVD etc. But I have observed that whenever I use a re-writable DVD ie DVD-RW and burn an iso image downloaded off the internet it works well. But when I want to write a normal data file such as an image, documetns, movies etc. It asks me to create an iso of the same no matter what format that normal file is. Is this what happens with Brasero? Thanks.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 11th March 2012, 03:57 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Brasero data buring issue

You've probably heard this before, but K3B is by far the best linux burning program. It does mean that you'd install quite a few KDE packages, but it's well worth the extras. Sorry, but on your question, brasero failed too many times in the past for me to even use it.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 11th March 2012, 05:24 PM
kkshethin Offline

linuxfirefox

This is really strange. Whenever i insert a cd/dvd in drive and use pop-up program (it is cd/dvd burner program which i think is brasero, am i correct), it frequently fails but if i close that notification/program/file manager and open brasero and then select proper task (like image burning), it has never failed me, atleast in iso file burning. This has stumped me totally.
Old 11th March 2012, 07:52 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

In case you don't already know (I assume you do - but for those that don't)...
You have to tell it what type disk you intend to make, be it IMAGE (using the ISO), DATA, AUDIO, VIDEO, etc.
(Even though it clearly states, you'd be surprised at how many people I see that just don't get this.)

Are you SURE you are choosing the right one? In this case it would be DATA.
Since it's asking for an ISO, I'm thinking you are [somehow] still in IMAGE mode.

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 12th March 2012, 05:22 AM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
You have to tell it what type disk you intend to make, be it IMAGE (using the ISO), DATA, AUDIO, VIDEO, etc.

Are you SURE you are choosing the right one? In this case it would be DATA.
Since it's asking for an ISO, I'm thinking you are [somehow] still in IMAGE mode.
Well I have used some DVD burning tools in the past and I am quite comfortable using any of them. So this is a bit weird to me in Fedora 16.

Yes, I am using the right disk type ie data in my case. I only use iso option when I need to write an iso file downloaded from the net.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I need to use this command to install K3b.

Code:
yum install k3b

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 12th March 2012, 07:22 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

I tried Brasero a good while back (when it was reported shortly thereafter to be REALLY messed up) & sure enough, it didn't work.
(I'd thought they surely would have it fix by now! Guess not.)
So installed K3B & been happily using it ever since, I think you will too.

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 12th March 2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12th March 2012, 05:00 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
I have installed Fedora 16 32 bit. I have also installed Brasero program to write stuff to DVD etc.
Xfburn works great too. I use it without fail on an old internal notebook cd burner and an external dvd burner.

Brasero did not produce consistent burns for me, would not recommend.

Last edited by BBQdave; 12th March 2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Brasero inconsistant burns
Old 12th March 2012, 05:19 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

+1 for Xfburn - I've never had an issue or a bad burn using xfburn, and you won't pull in a gazillion KDE deps with xfburn like you would by installing k3b, but it will pull in a few xfce things.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 12th March 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 5th May 2012, 08:27 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox

Burning a data disk with the current Brasero (installed today in FC 16 64) seemed to go to completion , but it concluded with the message that it couldn't eject the Cd. I find other reports of this on the web and they said if the Cd was ejected manually, it would still be readable. Mine wasn't.

So I took your advice and installed Xfburn. There was a slight problem. As an ordinary user I started xfburn from a terminal. I wanted to make a Cd containing a copy of a directory that I created as root in /var. The directory was marked readable by others and so were all the files in it. Xfburn would let me start a data CD project and put the directory in the project. But when I pressed "proceed to burn", I got a screen with button to burn grayed out. ( It says something like "Burn composition".)

I closed xfburn and did an su to root and ran xfburn again from the terminal. Then I was able to burn the data to the CD
Old 5th May 2012, 10:22 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Contrary to popular belief cdrecord is still be best linux burning program - other programs mentioned are just frontends ;-)

If your "ejected" disc is unreadabe try to manually fixate it with

Code:
cdrecord -scanbus
cdrecord -fix dev=X,Y,Z
where X,Y,Z is the device number for your burner.
Old 5th May 2012, 03:10 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

When I used it "straight up", one thing I remember about cdrecord was an undertow of conflict (which one could read between the lines in the documentation) between the Linux version and the the software it was adapted from. It appeared there was some fundamental disagreement between how Linux treated scsi devices and how the author of the original software thought things should be done. What was that all about?

Edit:
Apparently the conflict still rages: http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html
Quote:
Both RedHat and SuSE started to publish the bastardized and defective variants of cdrtools from Debian in their distributions.
If you have problems on RedHat or SuSE systems, first fetch a recent original cdrtools source, compile it yourself
and run the original instead of broken software that illegally claims to be cdrecord.
The Xfburn site refers to libburnia libraries instead of cdrecord.

Last edited by tashirosgt; 5th May 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Tags
brasero, buring, data