Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th March 2012, 05:24 AM
nechen Offline

windows_7chrome
Nvida 295 Drivers and KDE 4.8

Greetings All,

I just recently got Fedora 16 w/KDE LiveCD and installed it last night. All went well until I attempted to get my Nvidia drivers installed because Kwin apparently couldn't start ANY of the effects I'd selected.

Anyway, after following the same guide I've used for previous releases of Fedora I ran into MAJOR failure (The guide I used: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...ouveau-driver/)

After logging in my Plasma Workspace seemed to be hanging, I was able to kill it and get some of my windows open but it was just horrible. I followed the instructions to roll back to Nouveau driver which seemed to fix the problem.

After some digging and various debates on "nonfree" drivers and applications I come to find that the glibc in KDE 4.8 had an issue working with 285 and 290 Nvidia drivers. We are, however, on 295 and the problem still seems to persist.

Oddly enough I don't see nearly enough posts on ANY forums about this problem, given that Nvidia is a major GPU I'd think more people would've run into this problem.

I was hoping to accomplish one of two things:

1.) Get myself a bloody rotating cube (Thats all I want) out of the Nouveau drivers
or
2.) Get the Nvidia drivers installed without KDE catching on fire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10th March 2012, 06:34 AM
ozjd Online

linuxchrome
Re: Nvida 295 Drivers and KDE 4.8

Ive got KDE working with the nvidia drivers using Leigh's guide, link below. It is using 290.10 but is working fine with KDE 4.8. Nouveau doesn't work well on this machine with 8400M GS card.

On another box I have F15 KDE 4.7 working with nouveau but that is a different card, GT240 from memory.

Tags
295, drivers, kde, nvida