Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th March 2012, 09:03 AM
yzpdsg Offline

windows_7chrome
startx reports "no screens found" on Intel GMA 500

I've installed Fedora 16 on my sony vaio p17h,which uses the video card "Intel GMA 500".However,after the installtion, I can't boot into X window,it hung at the so called "main loop".After tried init 3 and the command of startx,I got the error of "no screens found". What should I do now?
Old 9th March 2012, 07:46 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: startx reports "no screens found" on Intel GMA 500

The Intel GMA 500 has been a special problem for Linux. As I understand it Intel adapted the device from some 3rd party and can't publish the specs - so there was no open source driver for that particular chipset.

However only recently has there been some work to reverse engineer a solution
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTE0NQ

Tee driver for your vid was in the f16 3.2.2.1 build as 'psb_gfx.ko' but APPEARS to be missing from later F16 kernels.

I suggests you install/boot that older f16 kernel as a start and try.
IN later kernels the driver was moved from the 'steging' (experimental) category to ./drivers/drm/gpu/gma500 or similar.
Old 10th March 2012, 02:53 AM
yzpdsg Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: startx reports "no screens found" on Intel GMA 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
The Intel GMA 500 has been a special problem for Linux. As I understand it Intel adapted the device from some 3rd party and can't publish the specs - so there was no open source driver for that particular chipset.

However only recently has there been some work to reverse engineer a solution
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTE0NQ

Tee driver for your vid was in the f16 3.2.2.1 build as 'psb_gfx.ko' but APPEARS to be missing from later F16 kernels.

I suggests you install/boot that older f16 kernel as a start and try.
IN later kernels the driver was moved from the 'steging' (experimental) category to ./drivers/drm/gpu/gma500 or similar.
Sorry, I'm a newbee,I'm not sure what to do next. Install fedora version 15 or lower and upgrade to 16 will solve the problem?

Tags
500, gma, intel, no screens found, reports, startx