Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th March 2012, 01:48 PM
ArtKun Offline

linuxchrome
System doesn't boot with GTX 550 Ti

My hardware is:
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE, C2D E8500, GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

The problem is that with kernel newer than 3.2 (including 3.3 in Fedora 17), my system doesn't boot at all. I'm using nouveau and have no proprietary nvidia modules installed.
With 3.2, I'm getting nothing but "Loading initial ramdisk" on the screen, but HDD LED is blinking and when I press the Power button on my PC, the system turns off as it's supposed to.
But with 3.3 (in Fedora 17 and Ubuntu 12.04 with Canonical patched kernel), the system doesn't boot at all. After "Loading initial ramdisk" the monitor turns off, and nothing happens. HDD doesn't do anything.
This happens even without xf86-video-nouveau installed (i've tried Arch).

With kernel 3.1.9, my graphics card still works perfect, with a good 3D acceleration. GNOME 3 works perfect too.

I'm sorry for my English.
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:48 AM
dragon1976 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: System doesn't boot with GTX 550 Ti

Very frusterating........I too purchased a gtx550ti graphics card ...has issues with 2.0 kernel

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

i ment 3.0 kernel
Old 23rd March 2012, 06:11 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtKun View Post
My hardware is:

The problem is that with kernel newer than 3.2 (including 3.3 in Fedora 17), my system doesn't boot at all. I'm using nouveau and have no proprietary nvidia modules installed.
With 3.2, I'm getting nothing but "Loading initial ramdisk" on the screen, but HDD LED is blinking and when I press the Power button on my PC, the system turns off as it's supposed to.
But with 3.3 (in Fedora 17 and Ubuntu 12.04 with Canonical patched kernel), the system doesn't boot at all. After "Loading initial ramdisk" the monitor turns off, and nothing happens. HDD doesn't do anything.

With kernel 3.1.9, my graphics card still works perfect, with a good 3D acceleration. GNOME 3 works perfect too.

interesting you say this i have the very same card, an all i get is Garbled Graphix right where GDM should load. but i also get a DRM Nouveau error with it

Fedora16 loads fine, F17 doesnt
Old 23rd March 2012, 06:17 AM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxchrome

I have the same card. No issues with Scientific Linux 6.2 using kernel 2.6.32, but I've yet to try F17 on it.
Old 29th March 2012, 07:08 PM
vovan Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Bert View Post
I have the same card. No issues with Scientific Linux 6.2 using kernel 2.6.32, but I've yet to try F17 on it.
This is an issue with upgrating the kernel to 3.3.* branch.,. Your post sounds strange, please read the subject.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote:
My hardware is:

Actually I have the same issue. I don't think it's related to your card, but, most likely, to kms with nouveau (yep I'm using nouveau too). Personally I don't use Fedora, but just vanilla kernel and with vanilla kernel 3.3 my system won't boot. Almost instantly after I select a menu entry in bootloader I'm getting corrupted/flashing screen and nothing more. Everything works as expected with 3.2.* and even more: if I boot 3.2.* kernel I'm able successfully kexec to 3.3. However normal (cold/hot)reboot doesn't work...
Old 29th March 2012, 07:29 PM
ArtKun Offline

linuxchrome

I've sent bug reports:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42876
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=785221

But unfortunately there's no answer from developers.
Now I'm using proprietary driver with kernel 3.3 and it works fine. I hope this problem will be fixed before F17 release, because nouveau worked better in GNOME 3 for me.
Old 30th March 2012, 11:46 AM
vovan Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
I've sent bug reports:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42876
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=785221

But unfortunately there's no answer from developers.
Now I'm using proprietary driver with kernel 3.3 and it works fine. I hope this problem will be fixed before F17 release, because nouveau worked better in GNOME 3 for me.
Most likely here is the solution.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:57 PM
AlanSac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I had a similar problem and found good ideas at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

I also have a 550TI card. My solution was to verify that there was a kmod-nvidia module for my kernel. Downloaded this module, then edited the etc/modprobe.d file to blacklist nouveau. Rebooted, and everything worked. The above website made me comfortable with this, since I knew how to get back to nouveau.
Old 30th March 2012, 01:18 PM
vovan Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSac View Post
I had a similar problem and found good ideas at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

I also have a 550TI card. My solution was to verify that there was a kmod-nvidia module for my kernel. Downloaded this module, then edited the etc/modprobe.d file to blacklist nouveau. Rebooted, and everything worked. The above website made me comfortable with this, since I knew how to get back to nouveau.
Sorry, but did you read the original post??? The system CAN NOT BOOT... that means you can't do anything (there's no shell at _all_)
Old 30th March 2012, 01:32 PM
AlanSac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Boot in Recovery Mode - use your installation DVD and choose troubleshoot. It will eventually take you to a terminal screen. chroot /mnt/sysimage gives you access to your file system. Hope this helps - finding the cure and fixing are sometimes a real challenge!
Old 30th March 2012, 01:38 PM
vovan Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSac View Post
Boot in Recovery Mode - use your installation DVD and choose troubleshoot. It will eventually take you to a terminal screen. chroot /mnt/sysimage gives you access to your file system. Hope this helps - finding the cure and fixing are sometimes a real challenge!
Sorry again, but your post isn't relevant to the problem the author describes in the original post (please read carefully!). There's a kernel regression between 3.2.11 and 3.2.12 which causes kernel panic during ASPM initialization on a very early boot. There's nothing wrong with nvidia/nouveau drivers.
Old 30th March 2012, 01:46 PM
leepaul

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by vovan View Post
Sorry again, but your post isn't relevant to the problem the author describes in the original post (please read carefully!). There's a kernel regression between 3.2.11 and 3.2.12 which causes kernel panic during ASPM initialization on a very early boot. There's nothing wrong with nvidia/nouveau drivers.
Fixed in kernel-3.3.0-8.fc16

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/...buildID=310421

Quote:
* Thu Mar 29 2012 Josh Boyer <jwboyer@redhat.com> - 3.3.0-8
- Drop __cpuinitdata on disable_nx for x86_32 (rhbz 808075)
- iwl{wifi,legacy}: Fix warnings on remove interface from Stanislaw Gruszka (rhbz 770467)

* Wed Mar 28 2012 Josh Boyer <jwboyer@redhat.com>
- Fix disabled ASPM regression
Old 30th March 2012, 01:49 PM
vovan Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

@leepaul: Thanks for posting updates, looks good! I don't use fedora, so I had to patch kernel myself (not a big deal...).
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:55 AM
dragon1976 Offline

linuxfirefox

My solution was to go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy
select the 500 series!!!
choose either 32//64 bit depending on your system
you will have to manually install it in init 3
before you install make sure you have gcc & binutils kernel-devel installed in my case i just
yum groupinstall "Development Tools" then I installed my driver for the GTX550ti graphics card!!!
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:16 AM
ArtKun Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1976 View Post
My solution was to go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy
select the 500 series!!!
choose either 32//64 bit depending on your system
you will have to manually install it in init 3
before you install make sure you have gcc & binutils kernel-devel installed in my case i just
yum groupinstall "Development Tools" then I installed my driver for the GTX550ti graphics card!!!
Yesterday the latest 295.33 had been pushed to the rpmfusion's "updates-nonfree", it works fine for me. There is no point in installing it manually anymore

Tags
550, boot, fermi, geforce, gtx, kernel, nouveau, nvidia