Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th March 2012, 02:00 AM
T3STY Offline

linuxfirefox
Restore Delete instead of CTRL+Delete in Nautilus

What I'm asking you is probably what any Gnome 3/Nautilus user would ask.

I hate doing CTRL+Delete... this combination was suggested here:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus...a05b7bb89704d5
Hello!....there is a key on the keyboard with D-E-L-E-T-E written on it... but it seems like the author of this suggestion is not able to read what's written on his keyboard keys... I can't figure out any other reason to want CTRL+Delete for such a safe action like "move to trash" from where you can restore any accidental deleted (read deleted as moved to trash) file...

Anyway, I've been looking on the web for long time and I couldn't find any way to restore CTRL+Delete. Actually, there is a way by modifying the source code of Nautilus and re-compiling it, but I'm not able to accomplish this task due to my lack of experience in compiling and solving almost any error the compilation gives (Just in case you're asking yourself, yes, I have already tried to re-compile Nautilus).

So, do you guys have any idea on how to get it back?

EDIT
The editable accelerators trick won't work. I mean this:
dconf-editor >> org -> gnome -> desktop -> interface >> (enable) "can-change-accels"
Nautilus > select any file > (menubar) Edit > hover on "Move to Trash" >> press delete key twice

This trick works per session, if you end the session (or restart/shutdown pc) the new session will get back the CTRL+Delete accelerator.
Instead, I'm looking for a permanent solution.

Last edited by T3STY; 5th March 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 5th March 2012, 06:08 AM
kkshethin Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Restore Delete instead of CTRL+Delete in Nautilus

same problem here. Trick working for a session only. As soon as nautilus closed and reopended, back to pavillion.
Old 5th March 2012, 08:59 AM
sgage Offline

windows_7firefox

That's odd - the 'can change accel' fix was permanent for me. I wonder what's going on...
Old 5th March 2012, 12:57 PM
T3STY Offline

linuxfirefox

The accels trick seems to be working for someone on the web by creating a .gnome2/accels folder in your home, but it didn't work for me.
MY SYSTEM ↂ Main OS: Fedora 18 x86_64 ↂ CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 (3.3GHz, Cache: 9MB, Socket: AM3) ↂ MoBo: MSI 890FXA-GD65 ↂ RAM: 8GB (4x2GB Kingston HyperX, DDR3, 1333MHz) ↂ Graphics: Club3D Radeon 4850 (GPU: ATI rv770, BUS: 256-bit, RAM: 512MB GDDR3) ↂ PS: Cooler Master GX-650 (650W, 80+ Bronze) ↂ Main HD: 320GB (Maxtor, SATA) ↂ Sec. HD: 80GB (Western Digital, SATA)
Old 8th March 2012, 10:49 PM
christian_l Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3STY View Post
The accels trick seems to be working for someone on the web by creating a .gnome2/accels folder in your home, but it didn't work for me.
The trick did work for me, and now I do have a file ~/.gnome2/accels/nautilus, that contains this line (and lots of other lines, which seem to be disabled by a leading ";"):

(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/DirViewActions/Trash" "Delete")

Yes, do include the parentheses around it!
Old 9th March 2012, 05:46 PM
T3STY Offline

linuxfirefox

is it "nautilus" the file?

EDIT
Thank you very very much christian_l, it worked for me too now!
MY SYSTEM ↂ Main OS: Fedora 18 x86_64 ↂ CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 (3.3GHz, Cache: 9MB, Socket: AM3) ↂ MoBo: MSI 890FXA-GD65 ↂ RAM: 8GB (4x2GB Kingston HyperX, DDR3, 1333MHz) ↂ Graphics: Club3D Radeon 4850 (GPU: ATI rv770, BUS: 256-bit, RAM: 512MB GDDR3) ↂ PS: Cooler Master GX-650 (650W, 80+ Bronze) ↂ Main HD: 320GB (Maxtor, SATA) ↂ Sec. HD: 80GB (Western Digital, SATA)

Last edited by T3STY; 9th March 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:59 AM
Castania Offline

linuxchrome

Hate to bring this back up . . . but as with others . . . it's just annoying. I suppose what's most annoying is that it's so hard to change . . . an almost Windoze type attitude toward the end user: "Your not smart enough to know what's best . . ."

I've tried everything -- short of the recompiling thing, which I'm not up to -- my F17 system is one of those that won't even allow me change the keybinding -- not even for the session. I've tried the gsettings command, dconf, gconf, etc. I do have the /.gnome2/accels/nautilus file; mine has Trash" "<Primary>Delete" . . . and I've played with this every way I know how. But all for naught.

It might be a conflict with an extension . . . I've installed several to get things back to the way they used to be (when everything just "worked.")

My question: isn't there a file -- a text/settings file -- somewhere -- that can be edited to effect this change?

If so . . . please let me know.
Old 21st June 2012, 01:11 PM
T3STY Offline

windows_7opera

Unfortunately, the old fast key binding change feature of Gnome 2 has not been properly implemented in gnome 3, so any changes you make are not remembered whenever and wherever you make them. The only permanent solution is to recompile nautilus from source, which means, you'd have to recompile it every time there is an upgrade for it...
Old 21st June 2012, 08:12 PM
christian_l Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3STY View Post
Unfortunately, the old fast key binding change feature of Gnome 2 has not been properly implemented in gnome 3, so any changes you make are not remembered whenever and wherever you make them. The only permanent solution is to recompile nautilus from source, which means, you'd have to recompile it every time there is an upgrade for it...
I can not confirm this. In my nautilus sessions, Delete still has the old behavior, even though I am on Fedora 17 now. When I rename my ~/.gnome2/accels/nautilus file and restart nautilus, I get back the new standard behavior - this means nautilus still reads its setting from this file.

Castania: Just to be sure - you've created the .gnome2/accels/nautilus file under your home directory (e.g. /home/castania/.gnome2/accels/nautilus), it belongs to your account (not root), and is read/writeable by you, right? There should be one line that only has the following text (with no ";" in front of it!)

(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/DirViewActions/Trash" "Delete")

Also, make sure there is no other line in that file that starts with (gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/DirViewActions/Trash"... (Otherwise it might reset the previous change).

Lastly, just closing nautilus and reopening it might not be enough to read the new settings. Go to a terminal and type "killall -9 nautilus" to make sure it is no longer running, and then reopen it.

Tags
ctrl, delete, nautilus, restore