Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th May 2012, 06:53 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Waited long enough for Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwendt View Post
No, I'm referring to the upstream sources' defaults.

That's not what can be observed in the sources. There are two separate driver plugins. The deprecated one for OSS possibly would still build (its headers get detected), but would need to be enabled explicitly, which is not a good idea due to its "deprecated" state (and a few other reasons). The second driver for OSS4 is enabled by default, but requires the OSS4 kernel headers to be present, which is not the case for the Linux kernel.

There's a difference between "optional" and "enabled by default". The OSS4 driver is enabled by default, but cannot be built with a normal Linux kernel source tree.

It's embarrassing to see that now you're just trolling
Actually it is easier to run oss4 with audacious in F17 than it was in F16, so I should probably keep my mouth shut lest someone make it difficult again. (That's what I call trolling, Michael )

After lobotomizing pulseaudio, installing oss4, and installing audacious and audacious-plugins, one can download the audacious-plugins-3.2.2 source from the audacious website, configure, make, and make install it without a hitch. The oss4 output plugin gets built by default and works perfectly (ironically, the pulseaudio output plugin does not get built).

Given that fact, which you can prove to yourself if you don't believe me, it appears obvious that the reason Fedora excludes the oss4 output plugin in audacious has nothing to do with the kernel or anything else technical - it is purely political.

So not only is Fedora going out of its way to try to restrict its users' freedom, it is trying to cover that up with a lot of FUD. Shameless.
Old 15th May 2012, 10:53 AM
mschwendt Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
After lobotomizing pulseaudio, installing oss4, ...

... it appears obvious that the reason Fedora excludes the oss4 output plugin in audacious has nothing to do with the kernel or anything else technical - it is purely political.
Once more: OSS4 is not included in the Linux kernel. You downloaded it and installed it. Only then you could build the Audacious plugin for it. That's a purely technical reason. Work towards getting OSS4 included in the Linux kernel, and it would become available in Fedora, too.

Quote:
So not only is Fedora going out of its way to try to restrict its users' freedom, it is trying to cover that up with a lot of FUD. Shameless.
Are you kidding? You've been free enough to download and install software without running into any restrictions added by Fedora. I wonder why you hang around in these forums if you seem to dislike Fedora so much that you publish posts like these?

Last edited by mschwendt; 15th May 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:58 PM
Deminox Offline

linuxchrome

Aside from the obvious needed "Do Not Feed The Trolls" sign...

I have my Fedora17 hooked up to my tv through HDMI, no sound still. I've done forum digging and found that it seems many releases and pre-releases of Fedora have had initial problems with HDMI sound support. It's just one of the kinks that gets ironed out pretty fast.

Fedora isn't the only one. Win7 has been known to have a few bugs of its own detecting HDMI sound (or at the very least, confusing some of the sound channels). I am willing to be that a big chunk of the problem is actually in hardware drivers. When multiple OS's have difficulty with the same aspect of the same tech from the two same manufacturers, well do the math.

I'm patiently awaiting the next set of updates, one of which I am sure will fix the issue.

(as far as restricting freedom, does this LOOK like we are shopping at the Mac store? This is Linux. Go ahead and chmod all of your files to 777 and then delete all your core files if you want. Nobody in the Fedora project will stop you. They might say "you probably don't want to do that...".)

Tags
audio, f17, long, oss, waited