Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2012, 04:49 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox
Waited long enough for Audio

If you've waited long enough for Fedora 17 to get its audio act together, the OSSv4 AMD64 rpm installs and runs on my box. I don't see an OSS output plugin for Audacious, but the ALSA plugin works, and in the past I have used the SDL plugin with OSS.

http://www.opensound.com/oss.html
Old 3rd March 2012, 05:06 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Re: Waited long enough for Audio

OSS has been dropped AFAIK in Fedora
Old 3rd March 2012, 05:59 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
I don't allow Fedora to decide what software runs on my computer - do you?
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:01 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
I don't allow Fedora to decide what software runs on my computer - do you?
No, but OSS AFAIK isnt exactly up to date with all soundcards either
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:09 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Why would I want to pollute my system with crap that needs a licence key to work?

http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:20 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Fedora has legal issues with OSS. Fedora also has rpmfusion and an investment in pulseaudio.
OSS works for me, and I particularly like the ossxmix utility which offers a lot of control over audio settings.

Here's what it supports: http://manuals.opensound.com/devlists/Linux.html

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Why would I want to pollute my system with crap that needs a licence key to work?

http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi
I've never understood that license key stuff. The latest ossv4 is packaged in Arch, and I downloaded and installed the rpm in F17 tonight without encountering anything about a key. I don't think the guy keeps his website up to date.
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:26 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Fedora has legal issues with OSS. Fedora also has rpmfusion and an investment in pulseaudio.
OSS works for me, and I particularly like the ossxmix utility which offers a lot of control over audio settings.

iv'e seen what it supports, it aint much though . if it works for you, use it. how much Fedora has an investment in pulseaudio now i dont know due to someone else maintaining PA. Lennart doesnt maintain PA no more. he only maintains it for fedora. he's to busy with systemd etc. OSS is dead IMO . i dont see or hear Ubuntu supporting it, only Arch.

BTW, shouldnt this go in reveiws & rants?
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:33 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Quote:

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

I've never understood that license key stuff. The latest ossv4 is packaged in Arch, and I downloaded and installed the rpm in F17 tonight without encountering anything about a key. I don't think the guy keeps his website up to date.

I'm using pulseaudio in F17, it's real easy to fix the audio issue.
Code:
su
yum install ConsoleKit
Here's my alsa-info to prove it works

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=bb...b2d858dfc9f95e

Edit: the latest pulseaudio update fixes the issue here

Code:
[leigh@main-pc ~]$ rpm -qa pulseaudio\*
pulseaudio-module-gconf-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
pulseaudio-libs-glib2-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
pulseaudio-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
pulseaudio-libs-devel-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
pulseaudio-libs-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-x11-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
pulseaudio-gdm-hooks-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
pulseaudio-utils-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-1.1-8.fc17.x86_64
[leigh@main-pc ~]$
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:36 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Quote:
iv'e seen what it supports, it aint much though . if it works for you, use it. how much Fedora has an investment in pulseaudio now i dont know due to someone else maintaining PA. Lennart doesnt maintain PA no more. he only maintains it for fedora. he's to busy with systemd etc. OSS is dead IMO . i dont see or hear Ubuntu supporting it, only Arch.

BTW, shouldnt this go in reveiws & rants?

No it's a valid issue.
Old 5th March 2012, 09:40 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

leigh: installing ConsoleKit 'works', but we'd really prefer you use the other workaround - remove the stanza from the PulseAudio config file - or simply install the update which fixes the bug - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/upda...dio-1.1-8.fc17 . Ideally we want people to be running without CK in testing F17, because we want to catch anything *else* that's broken by CK being absent. If you install CK you'll hide any other failures caused by its absence.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 13th May 2012, 07:34 PM
Deminox Offline

linuxchrome

CisoleKit installed on my desktop, still no audio. My audio is through my HDMI port on my graphics card, an ATI 4150. It recognizes, it sees the hdmi is connected, the default is the standard audio integrated card, but that is not connected to anything. I disabled that to make sure there wasnt a conflict.

***UPDATE***
re-enabled the default sound card. plugged headphones in and tested. Sound works perfect on integrated sound card. Looks like the issue for me is either HDMI support OR my graphics card support.

While I would go to ATI and download their official linux drivers, last time i did that on F17 I had to re-install, as it broke everything. (package installed, restarted, giant screen of errorcodes)

Maybe F17 full release will fix this.

Last edited by Deminox; 13th May 2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 13th May 2012, 07:57 PM
mschwendt Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
True, but that has happened years ago already. Meanwhile, the Audacious OSS Driver plugin has reached the deprecated state and isn't built anymore. Instead, there is an optional driver plugin for the OSS4 niche market. Users of OSS4 may build that one manually (and ship it in a local RPM package, for instance).
Old 14th May 2012, 04:49 AM
Magickman Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm running 17 with a Creative Labs Soundblaster card, and Pulse Audio drivers, and EQ, and sound works great for me.
Old 14th May 2012, 06:13 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwendt View Post
True, but that has happened years ago already. Meanwhile, the Audacious OSS Driver plugin has reached the deprecated state and isn't built anymore. Instead, there is an optional driver plugin for the OSS4 niche market. Users of OSS4 may build that one manually (and ship it in a local RPM package, for instance).
You are referring to the Fedora build of the upstream sources. The audacious oss4 plugin used to be "experimental." Now it has replaced the old oss plugin. Where I come from that's called progress. The alsa and pulseaudio output plugins are also optional upstream, for those niches.

What this all comes down to is a distribution's respect of its users' freedom to decide what software they use. Some distributions respect that freedom, others like Fedora do not.

The "niche market" you mention must be that of Linux users who want to make their own decisions, and not sheepishly accept whatever lawyers, distro bureaucrats and devs decide for them.

Happy to be a member of that niche.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:50 AM
mschwendt Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs down Re: Waited long enough for Audio

Quote:
You are referring to the Fedora build of the upstream sources.
No, I'm referring to the upstream sources' defaults.
Quote:
The audacious oss4 plugin used to be "experimental." Now it has replaced the old oss plugin.
That's not what can be observed in the sources. There are two separate driver plugins. The deprecated one for OSS possibly would still build (its headers get detected), but would need to be enabled explicitly, which is not a good idea due to its "deprecated" state (and a few other reasons). The second driver for OSS4 is enabled by default, but requires the OSS4 kernel headers to be present, which is not the case for the Linux kernel.

Quote:
The alsa and pulseaudio output plugins are also optional upstream, for those niches.
There's a difference between "optional" and "enabled by default". The OSS4 driver is enabled by default, but cannot be built with a normal Linux kernel source tree.

Quote:
What this all comes down to is a distribution's respect of its users' freedom to decide what software they use. Some distributions respect that freedom, others like Fedora do not.
It's embarrassing to see that now you're just trolling

Tags
audio, f17, long, oss, waited