Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th February 2012, 09:15 PM
greenstar Offline

linuxfirefox
Ethernet printer install

Hi, I seem to be getting on well with my Fedora set up, except that one vital element hasn't happened - the printer isn't found! I have a Xerox Phaser 3400 on ethernet. I've used the printer utility and it's found and installed a more recent usb printer, which unfortatley is faulty (new crap, my old laserjet works fine, thrown out, my bubblejet last year cost me £50, used occasionally, and just out of guarantee - installed fot the scanner). Ethernet working fine, have internet access. Xerox works fine on my mac. I'm sorry folks, but my skill with the command line is limited, and please don't suggest I get a newer printer - I'm living on £60 a week! And the xerox is adequate for normal use. I bought that danged colour printer for the rest.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 1st March 2012, 12:17 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Re: Ethernet printer install

I used the printer utility to setup the firewall to allow access my network printer although I am sure there are other ways to do it. Check that the avahi daemon is running for network printer discovery.

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenr...tworking-avahi
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:37 PM
greenstar Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for your response. I did use the printer utility, seemed to work, asked a question about the firewall, but no printer installed. Sorry, have no idea what a demon is or how to check if it's running. Are these things obvious?

Cheers,
Tony
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:39 AM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

Try the following in terminal:

Code:
ps -ef | grep avahi-daemon
Does that show the avahi daemon running?

Tags
ethernet, install, printer