FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    No sound on Firefox

    I am running F16 + cinnamon 32-bit on an Acer Aspire One netbook.

    When I play with the volume control, I hear the little "ding" that tells me how loud it is. But, when I try to watch youtube videos or listen to online music with Firefox, I have no sound. I can temporarily fix this problem by running

    Code:
    [root@fedora-netbook eric]# alsactl init
    Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Realtek ALC272X" "HDA:10ec0272,10250002,00100001" "0x1025" "0x0349"
    Hardware is initialized using a generic method
    However, I have to re-run this command after a reboot.

    From what I understand, the desktop noises (such as the volume control "ding") are the result of pulseaudio. It is strange, then, that I have to invoke ALSA in order to get sound working on FF.

    Something that may be of interest-- I have an older kernel versionlocked.

    Code:
    [root@fedora-netbook eric]# uname -r
    3.2.5-3.fc16.i686
    But if my memory serves me right, I've had this problem even when the latest kernels.

    How can I get sound to work on firefox and stay that way?

  2. #2
    PabloTwo's Avatar
    PabloTwo is offline "Fedora User" T-Shirt Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Seville, FL
    Posts
    8,919
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: No sound on Firefox

    Here is something to try:

    From your post: [root@fedora-netbook eric]# alsactl init

    Since you are already root user, after the above command, do:
    Code:
    alsactl store
    chmod 0666 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
    usermod -a -G audio user
    where "user" is your regular user login name.

    Make sure the alsa-restore.service is enabled (it should be by default).
    Code:
    BASH:~/-> sudo systemctl status alsa-restore.service
    alsa-restore.service - Restore Sound Card State
    	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/alsa-restore.service; static)
    	  Active: inactive (dead) since Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:51:17 -0500; 3h 52min ago
    	Main PID: 901 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/alsa-restore.service
    The time stamp and status=0/SUCCESS bits indicate it was active and doing its job at bootup.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: No sound on Firefox

    I ran the suggested commands and sound is now retained in Firefox after a reboot. Thanks for your help! Marking thread as SOLVED

Similar Threads

  1. No sound in Firefox
    By jolun in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19th March 2009, 07:20 PM
  2. No Sound in Firefox
    By Spartanx86 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st May 2008, 09:43 PM
  3. No sound in firefox
    By DrThomas in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 16th December 2007, 12:16 AM
  4. firefox swf no sound
    By Marcolux in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 25th May 2006, 09:53 PM
  5. No sound in firefox
    By biggiefrye45 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10th April 2006, 11:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •