Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th February 2012, 05:47 AM
sijothakadiyel Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy install kernel 3.x.x.x.x on Fedora 14

Sir
i wish to install kernel 3.x.x.x.x on my fedora 14. machine which is presently using 2.6.33.x kernel.
What all are the ways to do that .

1.Is it possible with Normal update ? . If not please suggest a way out
2. Is there any bug reported already ?
3. Does both kernel will be available after installing kernel 3.x.x.x ( 2.x and 3.x )

please help me

by

Sijo
Old 29th February 2012, 08:36 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: install kernel 3.x.x.x.x on Fedora 14

Greetings,
Fedora 14 reached end of life several months ago meaning bug reports and update for this release will not be accepted anymore. You have those options:
- Install kernel from either Fedora 15 or 16 (command is yum --releasever=15 install kernel)
- Upgrade to Fedora 15 using either preupgrade, DVD or yum
- Backup and fresh install to the latest release i.e. Fedora 16.

To answer the last question, both kernel 2.6.x and 3.x.x. will be available after installation.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:41 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

Recompile the latest kernel from http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/sourcef.../STABLE/SRPMS/

Code:
yum install yum-utils qt3-devel libXi-devel gcc-* kernel-headers kernel-devel redhat-rpm-config xmlto aasciidoc popt-devel libblkid-devel docbook-utils glibc-static zlib-static asciidoc
Code:
rpmdev-setuptree
rpm -ivh package1.rpm
cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/
rpmbuild -ba --with baseonly --without debuginfo kernel.spec

Fedora 17 XFCE x64, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS x64, Windows 7 64bit
HP-ProBook 5830 i3 - PC AMD Core 4
MacBookPro v10.7.4 - 2.8GHz i7 4GB RAM

Last edited by jonathonp; 3rd March 2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 31st March 2012, 05:24 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox

Having just upgraded my wireless card to a Atheros AR5008, and finding that it loses the internet connection (though strangely, not its connection to the router!) randomly, I decided to try upgrading to the f15 kernel as suggested here, in the hope that it might sort out the problem.

Although the kernel-install went ok - it's actually 2.6.42.12-1.fc15 that's installed, not 3.x - I find when I reboot that there is no entry for it created in the bootloader. And when I check the running kernel version with 'uname -r' I am told that it is the 'old' kernel - 2.6.35.14-106.fc14. Stranger still, when I list the installed kernels with 'sudo yum remove kernel', the old 2.6.35.14-106.fc14 kernel is no longer listed...

Could anyone explain how I might get to boot from the new kernel?

Last edited by omelette; 31st March 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 31st March 2012, 05:33 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

The 2.6.42 kernel version found in F15 is really a 3.X kernel. They kept the 2.6.X in F15 due to a whole bunch of other changes needed to support 3.X numbering. (Many things assume the kernel version starts with a 2 and don't check it).

I don't know why your bootloader wasn't updated. Was the initial ramdisk file created?

su -
cd /boot
ls -ld init*
Old 31st March 2012, 05:43 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi. Yes, it appears to be there - "initramfs-2.6.42.12-1.fc15.i686.img".

The only slight snag I encountered during install was a gpg-check failure, but I retried it with a '--nogpgcheck' and everything went ok. Not sure if that might have something to do with the no-bootloader-entry.

Edit: I think I know why there's no entry - I have f16 on another partition, which uses Grub 2, and after checking the 'grub.conf' file on the f14 partition I see that the new entry is there. So Grub2 is calling the shots and I need to get it to update stuff from f16.

Last edited by omelette; 31st March 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 31st March 2012, 06:19 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

FWIW I'e run everything up to 3.3.0+ on F14 w/o any problems. Of course I haven't tested every driver.
Old 31st March 2012, 09:14 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

There are many threads on running grub2-mkconfig so search for those instructions and that should populate the menu with the new kernel entry. I always backup /boot/grub2/grub.cfg first just in case.
Old 31st March 2012, 10:12 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox

Lots learned, not much of it is good though! First off, switching over to f16 I was dismayed to find that the wireless is almost unusable - downloading the latest 'cutting-edge' kernel 3.3.0.8 (25Meg) saw the AR5008 wireless disconnect at least 5 times! This is different from what happens with f14 where the internet only stops working - with f16 it disconnects from the router. There are also loads of debug messages being spewed out by the kernel, some of which I managed to google and it turns out that I am far from alone with this problem, and it is also 'current' as well, with lots endeavouring to find a solution.

The testing-kernel made no difference, so if I was looking for a reason NOT to use f16 (apart from loathing Gnome3) I have it. Wireless with f14 is very bearable in comparasion.

Regarding Grub, I could overwrite Grub2's bootloader entry with Grub-legacy which I've done in the past but don't see the point as I know that the latest f15 kernel will only make things worse if my f16 experience is anything to go by! Although the easiest way of 'fixing' the bootloader-enteries would be with Grub2 - I did it with Ubuntu one time and it locates all the kernels automatically, making the whole thing childs-play compared to Grub-legacy.

Looks like I may be going back my 54Mhz Intel 3945 card I think. The irony is that I bought the Atheros because I have another another one (different model though) in another computer that has run 24/7 for a couple of years, and performs flawlessly...
Old 1st April 2012, 10:52 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

This package is no longer included in the Fuduntu repos which is required to run my wireless card on my HP Probook 5330m. I have forgotten all the details.

[jonathon@hp-cool ~]$
Code:
lspci | grep -i intel
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation 6000 Series Gen2 (rev 34)

You can take packages directly from the Fuduntu 2012 repository:

Code:
su -
gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/fd.repo

add the following:

Code:
[fd]
name=Fuduntu
failovermethod=priority
baseurl=http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/sourceforge/f/project/fu/fuduntu/yum/2012/STABLE/RPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0
Code:
yum --enablerepo=fd update packagename
Try upgrading wireless support.

Last edited by jonathonp; 1st April 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 8th April 2012, 02:52 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox

I thought my f16-wireless issues were about to be solved when I saw that there was what appeared to be a major kernel-upgrade in the repositories - a jump form 3.3.0.4 -> 3.3.1.2. So I was dismayed to find after having rebooted several times, that kernel 3.3.1.2 actually breaks Atheros AR5008 wireless completely!!! Reboot with 3.3.0.4 and sure enough, I have wireless again! Not to be outdone, I discovered that the Arpms repository has an even newer kernel available - 3.3.1.3 - so one download, install & reboot later I still have a fc16 box that cannot connect wirelessly with anything other that kernel 3.3.0.4 - and even then, it drops the connection at least a couple of times an hour, seemingly whenever the download-rate is high.

How can stuff like this be missed by the 'developers'???
Old 8th April 2012, 03:08 PM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

Why don't you try fuduntu and make a comparison with Fedora 16?

Old 8th April 2012, 05:48 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox

I didn't realise your other post was directed at me! To be honest, that's the first time I've seen the word "Fuduntu" - just had a browse and I see it's a Linux distro! However, you seem Intel-centric whereas my problems are with Atheros-wireless, whose driver is contained within the ath9k kernel module.

Or is what you posted revelant to Atheros cards as well???

In truth, i'm having so many problems with fc16 that I'm wondering is it worth the bother - along with no/intermittent wireless, there's also a major problem with Nouveau, where there is no system-text visible when I boot, I have to relog-in, sometimes several times, before I'm treated to desktop-menus etc. This is on the laptop which has a Nvidia Gforce 7400 chipset. Also, despite almost forcing myself to use Gnome3, it hasn't endeared itself to me any. For instance, install Wine and you are treated to a mess of Icons that you cannot corral in a folder of their own 'cos this dumb desktop doesn't even have this basic level of customisation available. Yes, I know there is some package you can install to do this, but last time I checked, this had been 'broken' for at least several months, with no fix forthcoming! And this is meant be an evolution from Gnome2?...
Old 9th April 2012, 03:16 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post
I didn't realise your other post was directed at me! To be honest, that's the first time I've seen the word "Fuduntu" - just had a browse and I see it's a Linux distro! However, you seem Intel-centric whereas my problems are with Atheros-wireless, whose driver is contained within the ath9k kernel module.

Or is what you posted revelant to Atheros cards as well???
You might want to try fuduntu as it's a fork of fedora 14 and has very good hardware support. It's worth a shot to see how things go with your card since Fedora 16 has failed miserably in your instance. It also uses gnome desktop 2 which makes it a gem. You can also add packages from the Fedora 14 repository as well.

Old 9th April 2012, 10:35 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox

Ahh, so it's a distro-recommendation - excuse my confusion!

I may well check it out, athough I have to admit that Fedora (13 & 14 that is) is the only Linux that I've truly been comfortable with - Selinux excepted! And I've tried quite a few in the past 6 years that I've been 100% Linux-powered. But it looks like I may well have to abandon Fedora now, shame...

Tags
3xxxx, fedora, install, kernel, on 14