Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th February 2012, 04:30 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Trouble installing LibreOffice

The only system I've managed to install libreoffice on is a Fedora 15 system where I found it under Add/Remove Programs. I tried installing it under Fedora 14 from the website, but it didn't work. I also tried and failed to install it on a Windows Vista system. There, part way through the process I got a message telling me to exit Libreoffice, which I couldn't do since it was not even yet installed.

Is this set of programs just not available except if it is included already as a package?
Old 27th February 2012, 07:52 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera
Re: Trouble installing LibreOffice

Hrrm, pretty easy to install I think. Try something like

yum install libreoffice-writer

which should pull in core and a few other things. If that goes smoothly, then you can get the rest with, for example,

yum install libreoffice-calc
Old 27th February 2012, 11:17 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Hrrm, pretty easy to install I think. Try something like

yum install libreoffice-writer

which should pull in core and a few other things. If that goes smoothly, then you can get the rest with, for example,

yum install libreoffice-calc
The first yields under Fedora 14.

No package libreoffice-writer available.

I presume I must add some software source first. Which?

But I am going to upgrade to Fedora 16 soon, and I presume it will be available as a package for that.

My main concern is doing a Windows install, and I don't see ho to do that.
Old 27th February 2012, 11:44 PM
jswmcw Offline

linuxfirefox

I believe Fedora 14 used openoffice. I could be wrong, though.
"Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit." -- Linus Torvalds, 2004.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:25 AM
AlexDudko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswmcw View Post
I believe Fedora 14 used openoffice. I could be wrong, though.
Yes, it was openoffice there. But Libreoffice could be easily installed there as well.
Download installation package, extract it. Then go to RPMS directory there and run
Quote:
rpm -i *.rpm
to install everything
Then go to desktop-integration directory and in the same way install libreoffice3.5-freedesktop-menus package.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:49 AM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDudko View Post
Yes, it was openoffice there. But Libreoffice could be easily installed there as well.
Download installation package, extract it. Then go to RPMS directory there and run

to install everything
Then go to desktop-integration directory and in the same way install libreoffice3.5-freedesktop-menus package.
I believe I tried that and it didn't work.

I prefer Libreoffice to Openoffice if I can manage to install it. As I noted, it seems to be available through add/remove programs under Fedora 15, so I presume the same will be true under Fedora 16. I intend to upgrade my main machine to Fedora 16 as soon as I feel I understand gnome 3. I've been playing with it on a secondary machine running Feora 15, and I'm making some progress, but I have a bit of way to go.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:57 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Ok, this might be going a step backwards - but are you sure that you are downloading the right package? What error message, if any, are you seeing when try to install the packages? The installation instructions, just in case, are here.

Do post what you see. Cheers.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:00 AM
AlexDudko Offline

linuxfirefox

I think it could be caused by a conflict with already installed openoffice in Fedora-14.
Fedora-16 of course has Libreoffice-3.4 in repositories and it can be easily installed.

Tags
installing, libreoffice, trouble