Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th February 2012, 09:07 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

windows_7firefox
Totally hosed computer - help please

First off, my problems are NOT the cause of ANYONE ON THIS FORUM...

In my thread about sensors, I got a reply to try a suggestion that came from the UBUNTU group. I should have know better than to try it, as if I don't totally understand what it is all about so I can translate it to FEDORA to prevent it from screwing up something, it will no doubt break something else. Well it happened, & was reflected in my grub kernel boot list, it added "garbage".

When I ran the command to recreate the grub2 config, it found my old F14 stuff which I had isolated. Evidently adding it into the LVM somehow, even though the LVM manager didn't seem to reflect this. In order to get rid of the F14 entry in the boot menu I though I'd delete my F14 since I no longer needed it. This not only hosed my F16 (error below) but also took out my BACKUP partition. Which is weird because as I clicked the last of the partition stuff for my F14 I saw it delete the BACKUP partition at the same time.

I ran TESTDISK to try to put it back & I had to run it DEEP to find the BACKUP, it found the F14 stuff w/o doing this. But when I try to put anything back TESTDISK tells me something like "invalid partition structure" (I spent all evening & I'm to tired to actually recall)

What gets me is, what the heck caused it to even TOUCH the BACKUP partition in the first place, let alone my not being able to get it back. & two what the heck happened with my F16?

Here is the error I get if I try to boot into F16:

--- after it tries to load the ramdisk ---

Dracut warning: no root device "block: /dev/mapper/volgroup-lv_root" found

Dracut warning: LVM vg_bigtux/lv_swap not found

dropping to debug shell

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

dracut:/#_

BTW: those LV's appear to be for my F16 not the F14, the F14's had a "2" on it's name.

The only foreseeable "fix" that I have (at the moment) is to recreate the BACKUP partition
& copy it back from my external backup - then go from there with my image backups to rebuild the F16,
unless someone can give my a solution & hopefully a reason why all this happened.
But doing so, I'd loose about 5% of my stuff, I just added.

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 26th February 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 26th February 2012, 09:37 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Totally hosed computer - help please

Well, you probably don't want my suggestions since I'm the one who told you about changing grub to begin with, but, have you tried editing the boot loader on the fly? Different partition or UUID? I've had the dracut error in the past and this has worked for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 26th February 2012, 09:45 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

windows_7firefox

Like I said, I'm not blaming YOU, so YES, any help will be appreciated.

I was just getting to understand the OLD grub, so this NEW one is a total mystery to me. But with a guide I think I could.

Question though, how does this help with the [so called] missing stuff? Is it just confused?

Old 26th February 2012, 09:57 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

I gather that when I get the dracut error the bootloader is looking at the wrong partition when trying to boot a particular OS. I don't know why. I multi-boot 8-10 OS's and have 3 hard disks installed in this box. Sometimes grub2 seems to get confused. There are currently 2 OS's that just won't boot no matter what I do, but, as I said, I have had luck with editing the bootloader on the fly and changing either the disk, for example, (hdx,x) to (hdx,y) or changing the UUID. If this works at least you're in and can do whatever you need to do.

If you used a live CD would you at least be able to recover your backup?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 26th February 2012, 10:49 AM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

Grub 1.99 / 2 Docs:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/gru...mentation.html
They dont host grub legacy docs anymore (as far i understand it).

Most important folders for grub 2:
* /etc/default (grub)
* /etc/grub.d (*)
After changing any of these files you have to grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to create a new grub config file with all the changes.
The only expections are: /etc/grub.d/4X_custom, which is ready on the fly.

Hope this helps
Old 27th February 2012, 12:34 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

windows_7firefox

It seems to boot the right partition & gets almost through it. - Grub appears to work OK (I can boot into W7)

Since I can't boot into F16, is there a way to run that grub command w/o it running?
Like from a liveCD. - How? (I'm thinking if I ran this, it would see the changes & redo the files to boot)

To answer the question about getting the backups, I can't see it to get it.
It only shows if I do a DEEP run with TESTDISK & even then, if I do something it doesn't
like, I'm forced to start all over, double scanning a 500G HD, to much time spent.

I have about 95% of my stuff on an external HD, but I'd like to get back that 5% I just added.
The F16 would be nice to get running as is too, it would also bring back that 5%.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

I managed to get my BACKUP partition back...
Now to get the F16 booting!

I guess that the LINUX structure is what is the problem, I just don't know what it is to what TESTDISK expects, or I'd try pulling IT back, which I believe may fix it all. But if running that grub command will get it, I'd rather do that! - DEEP scanning took 2 to 2.5 hrs, I'd rather spend that time elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

I posted this in the other thread - it looks like it DID hook the F14 & F16 together.

The boot list is as follows: (sorry my camera batteries are dead or I'd post a picture)

kernel 3.2.7
kernel 3.2.7 (recovery mode)
kernel 3.2.6
kernel 3.2.6 (recovery mode)
kernel 3.2.5
kernel 3.2.5 (recovery mode)
Win 7
fedora 14 (on /dev/mapper/ vg_bigtux-lv_root) - this is listed 3 times, same kernel

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 26th February 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 27th February 2012, 03:47 AM
Magice Offline

linuxfirefox

How is your situation?

Here is how to get grub working with LiveCD, provided that you can mount the root and boot partitions of your F16 (in su):

# with root partition in /dev/sdc1
mkdir /mnt/root # create a directory to workwith
mount /dev/sdc /mnt/root
#mount root and root/efi if needs be
mount --bind /dev /mnt/root/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/root/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/root/sys
chroot /mnt/root

You should have mostly functioning system at root of your fc16.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:48 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

windows_7firefox

Using a F15 liveCD gnome, I was able to rescue my user directory. In the process of copying it, it ran into a few corrupted files, non-essential to me, but tells me that my F16 got corrupted. So since I now have (as best I can tell) all my data back, & the F16 appears corrupted, I'm gonna use my image backup & recreate my F16 from there. - unless someone has a faster / easier / [maybe better] solution I don't know about.

Thanks to all for the help!

Old 27th February 2012, 09:05 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

windows_7firefox

Well it appears that my F14 & F16 weren't separate after all, at least not on my F16 images. (That appeared to work before - possibly because F14 was still there) When I tried to run F16 after the image install, I got the same error. So now it's back to trying to get the F14 stuff back, at least what the error is bitching about.

What a <CENSORED> mess!!!! - I think for ME, LVM's are gone in any future installs!

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 27th February 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:05 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

*Dan sadly shakes his head ... takes up the pen of fate's cruelty ... and adds one more entry to the long list of known victims of LVM.*

If you happen to catch him on, try asking Slowjet. He seems to understand and love LVM. (EDIT: Hasn't been on since January, but keep an eye out. He crops up once in a while.)
Old 28th February 2012, 02:08 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

I ended up installing F14 from my image backups, preupgreaded to F16 & now in the process of resetting all my "tweaks" back as I had them. The "fun" thing now is remembering what all I did & how I did it. - (some fun - NOT!!!)

QUESTION: I managed to salvage MOST of my user directory, it I was to copy that in place of the one there, would I regain my setting or would I screw thing up?

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 28th February 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 28th February 2012, 05:27 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

I got my system back up & running!
Still checking, but the only thing I can see that I DON'T have is my WX gdesklet - for some reason, I can't get it to pull info.

Thanks to all!

Old 28th February 2012, 08:46 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Eventually when btrfs gets here for real, the entire need for LVM will go away and take all its weird mounting problems (right?)
Old 28th February 2012, 10:12 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Eventually when btrfs gets here for real, the entire need for LVM will go away and take all its weird mounting problems (right?)
...And bring with it it's OWN set of quirks, from what I hear tell... (but I hope not)

Anyway, death to LVM's will be nice. IIRC, this makes AT LEAST twice this has bitten me, that's 2X MORE than enough!

Tags
hosed, totally