Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th February 2012, 04:49 AM
nnylip Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 16 on HP Folio 13 will not boot

This is a new HP Folio 13, which was running Win7 64 without any noticeable problems.
I created multiple live boot thumb drives, F16 KDE and F16_64 KDe using liveusb_creator form the iso. Then, I booted off the one of the thumbdrives (and got the same experience with either) which is as follows:

. live CD partially loads. up to the second KDE icon. Then there is a 5 minute (!!!!) pause followed by an error message "unable to save bookmarks in /home/liveusr/.local//user_places.xbel. report error was: insufficient permisssion in target directory. This error message will only be shown once. The cause of the error needs to be fixed as quickly as possible which is most likely a full disk drive"

This apparently is a known error:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=750423

After that the installer seemed to continue normally and Fedora was installed, root setup and the system rebooted. On reboot, the grub menu appears with one normal install option and one recovery option (is this normal)? When either option is chosen, boot appears to begin but the screen goes black and that is it. ctrl,alt f2 does not work nor does any other keystroke. I did try entering "e" at the grub screen on several occasions and then entering "boot" on the grub line and "no kernel installed" message is received.

I'm admittedly a grub/boot newbie, i've never had anything close to this sort of problem on a fedora install. Please provide any help or let me know what other info is needed thanks.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:21 AM
nnylip Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 16 on HP Folio 13 will not boot

I'm patiently waiting for a help on this but in the meantime does anyone know how mod fedora as described in this ubuntu link? thanks in advance

http://labo.eliaz.fr/spip.php?article94
Old 11th March 2012, 05:04 PM
nnylip Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Re: Fedora 16 on HP Folio 13 will not boot

Solution to this problem:

"Blank screen after fedora 16 install on a hp folio 13"

This was installed using a Fedora 16 32bit KDE usb stick.

1. Boot machine
2. on first boot menu selection, press "e" (edit)
3. add "acpi_backlight=vendor" to kernel line. Line usually contains "KEYTABLE" and similar entries
4. Press f10 or ctrl x to boot. Machine should boot with normal, lovely kde screen

This will not make a perssitent change. To make persistent edit as root :

/boot/grub2/grub.cfg

and add "acpi_backlight=vendor" to appropriate kernel line (kernel which is normally booted.

This was also added to /etc/default/grub with the hope that the next kernel update will grab this option.

Tallyho!

Tags
boot, fedora, folio, hp folio 13