Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th February 2012, 04:56 AM
reneamat Offline

linuxchrome
Problems with Terminal and Arrows / Bindings

So, I'm a Fedora newbie. I got tired of some problems I was having with Debian and out-of-date packages and decided to try Fedora. I'm liking most everything, although yum does seem a bit slower than apt, but my only real issue is the fact that Terminal doesn't seem to be behaving in the same way that it did in Debian. It might have to do with the input settings or the ascii bindings for the keys, but the up arrow no longer functions to roll through previous commands in terminal. It's really very aggravating

Whenever I press the up arrow in Terminal I get ^]]A, and things of that nature for all the arrow keys. So, in addition to being unable to go through previous commands, I can't scroll through the characters of a command I have entered. How do I go about fixing this? Is there a different interpreter I can install that won't have this problem?

I'm sure it's something stupidly simple that I just don't understand, but I would appreciate the help. And it would help me learn how to use yum better.
Old 24th February 2012, 11:00 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Problems with Terminal and Arrows / Bindings

On mine, in 'preferences', I have set the Scrolling to Unlimited and checked the two boxes. Now, the 'up' arrow scrolls back through commands that I've entered, including previous boot entries. As to seeing current terminal entries, the mouse scroll wheel or the slider handles that.

I'm sure that others will jump in with exact ways to configure it the way you're used to as well.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:24 PM
dishawjp Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I'm experiencing a similar problem to the original poster's issue, but strangely enough, only on one of the two users' logins.

If I log in as myself, the terminal works as expected with command history using the up arrow and tab completion of file names. If I log into the account I set up for my wife, I have the same problems as the OP with command history and no tab completion of file names.

I noticed the problem last night when I had to move a bunch of files around and chmod and chown many of them. It was really annoying.

Jim Dishaw

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Hey, I just found this:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=272671

Maybe a "yum reinstall bash" will do the trick.

I was working with a new install on my laptop last night and possibly, I can't remember for sure, I did the work in my user's account before the update which may have trashed bash.

Jim Dishaw
Old 24th February 2012, 09:56 PM
reneamat Offline

linuxchrome

i tried doing a yum reinstall bash, and somehow my /boot partition got fried. I have no idea how the two are even related.

In any event, since I only installed yesterday it was no effort to do it again, and I fixed my problem with the terminal by making my main account the first account that was set up. Like dishawjp said, it only seems to effect the user accounts that weren't the primary account made during installation. I have no idea how bash differentiates between these different accounts, but apparently it does. Now I get my user and host information before the $ in terminal, and the arrow keys function as intended. It's still an issue, just not one that effects me any more.

Thanks dishawjp.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:03 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The reinstall of bash was just a way for the /etc/shells file to be corrected without having users edit that file. For some reason /bin/bash was not listed in that file while /bin/dash was listed twice. So you could fix the problem yourself by adding /bin/bash to the /etc/shells file and removing the duplicate /bin/dash entry.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 25th February 2012, 03:21 PM
dishawjp Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi All,

Well, I did the "yum reinstall bash" a few minutes ago, and it did fix the /etc/shells file, though if I had realized that all I had to do was add a line for bash, I would have done it that way.

Anyway, the reason for this post is that bash continues towork properly in my user proflie, but is still hosed if I log in as my wife.

Probably wouldn't be a big deal except that she expects me to manage her home directory and do her backups and etc.

Maybe this will be corrected before too long. It seems like it's probably a Gnome bug rather than a bash problem.

Jim Dishaw
Old 25th February 2012, 05:19 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishawjp View Post
bash continues towork properly in my user proflie, but is still hosed if I log in as my wife
If you created her userid before the bash bug was corrected, then her login shell might not have been set to /bin/bash (since that shell was not listed in /etc/shells at that time). Look for her userid in the /etc/passwd file and change her login shell to /bin/bash if necessary (it would be the last field in the colon-delimited line containing her userid).
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 26th February 2012, 09:26 PM
dishawjp Offline

linuxfirefox

RupertPupkin,

I was just going to post that my wife's account was using "dash" instead of "bash'. I issued the "chsh /bin/bash" command and all is good.

Thanks!

Jim

Tags
arrow key, arrows, ascii, bindings, problems, terminal