Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th February 2012, 09:26 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: VirtualBox overheating

On the virtualbox forums they say that Virtualbox will get your host pretty hot if you play games or videos in the windows guest.

One way to prove VirtualBox guest is the problem is to go in the VirtualBox menu and select "Pause"
(that is, if the VB code itself is in some kind of tight loop, the system would stay hot but if the guest is running too much pausing will take your host back to normal)

BTW, this guy on the VirtualBox forums got his problem fixed (Vista 64bit guest on Linux)

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48155

by running a update in the guest OS which updated some windows code and apparently corrected a problem in Windows.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:04 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, since I had to rebuild my machine from my F14, the setting are the same as they were under that & it ran just fine. It even ran fine when I first preugraded to F16. (even WITH those games, or I wouldn't have them) The only things changed NOW are the kernel & the vbox versions, plus the extension for the VM, that I can think of. So, that is why I THINK it would be in something there. But that is MY hypothesis, & I know I can be wrong, thus the postings. The more brains working on it, the better!

BTW: the video was direct & when I shut down the games the temp does decrease even with vbox still going - in MY case, it IS a direct usage of the CPU that raises the temps.

Thanks for the link, every bit of info, helps.

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 1st March 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:07 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

The obvious and likely thing is that F14 is in kernel major version 2 and F16 is using major version 3. A big change like that likely has big kernel architecture changes that VirtualBox didn't iron out yet.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:09 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah, that is what I'm hoping on....

My M$ usage (thankfully) is very small, so I can wait...

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 1st March 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 1st March 2012, 05:05 PM
hmaarrfk Offline

linuxchrome

I am not saying that VB might not have a bug somewhere, but the fact that your computer is allowed to reach >100 is a bad sign.

A computer should NEVER get past 100 degrees. Engineers design the processors and the cooling units such that even if the processors is running at 100% for hours on end, it will not overheat. Obviously there are things like dust that can get in the way of that, but if your computer is decent, it should be able to handle the day to day dust.

This is a thinkpad_acpi bug and the ubuntu community has a launchpad filing on it
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/751689

I also posed my workaround

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...06&postcount=8
Old 27th June 2012, 05:17 AM
salute Offline

windows_7firefox

Hi, sorry I'm late to the party, I just googled this issue, having the same problem

make sure you check the virtualbox *system* settings for each virtual os and play around with the (processor tab) execution cap percentage
- it's set to use only one cpu core (not cool for mine) and *unlimited cpu* - so setting this to about 66% made mine run real smooth
Old 11th November 2012, 12:21 AM
charliehfedora Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I was having the overheating with Win 7 32 bit guest at least 90 degrees, sometimes up to 100 degrees, sometimes the computer would shut down on account of heat. HP Elitebook 8440p.

I blew the dust out of all the cooling vents, and now it never runs hotter than 60 degrees. I was amazed.

Tags
overheating, virtualbox