Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd February 2012, 04:32 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: No support for flash player in linux, except google-chrome!

Thanks to a previous posts 20 and 22, I decided to ditch flash-plugin again and give LightSpark a try. It is even in the F16 repository and is 64 bit. I am impressed! It is worlds better than Gnash in video quality. The only area it seems to have issues are on the controls. I can't click a button for full-screen. I can hit a button for a bigger display, so it is not a total loss.

Goodbye Adobe, hello LightSpark. If Adobe wants to abandon me, I can abandon them first.

Edit:

I may have been a bit premature. LightSpark seems to handle YouTube fine, but has problems when a Vimeo video is linked. tvkim.com has a mix of the two. Can one have two different players active? I'd like to use the GPL'd LightSpark, but this makes it difficult.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Last edited by StephenH; 23rd February 2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: More information
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:54 PM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox

for example, In firefox(webm/html5) you can watch youtube without adobe flash.
Old 23rd February 2012, 03:19 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

I understand that Firefox can do so. The question is whether other sites that have video would also have that capability. Many still rely on Flash, linking a YouTube video or linking from other sites. Kim Komando's tvkim.komando.com page links primarily from YouTube but there have been more HD videos from Vimeo there lately. It is becoming a problem. For example, the videos on World Net Daily's www.wnd.com site show only a black screen as they link through ooyala.

I think so much has to do with people trying to implement procedures for DRM. Unfortunately, this locks Open Source players out for the most part.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

Old 23rd February 2012, 03:21 PM
Magickman Offline

linuxfirefox

Reading this made me shiver. So I did what perhaps you all should do. I went here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and downloaded the RPM, which I will burn to CD. Maybe Adobe will not support Flash, but I will have it anyway. Does anyone think Gnash has any future, or that this Pepper replacement will be any good? I read on http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page that Microsoft is making bids to buy out Novell, which owns the Unix source code. If they acquire it, they will own Unix and will be able to make Mac OS X, Solaris, BSD, and Linux illegal. This would require mass restructuring in the government, scientific institutions, and businesses that depend on Linux, and would raise the desktop market share of Windows from about 92% to almost 100%. Microsoft is attempting to make Linux users criminals.
Company Blacklist: http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Attachmate acquires Novell for $2.2 billion
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20023535-264.html

It is well known that half the servers in the world (including Time Warner) run on Linux. Linux powers about 90% of the world's 500 fastest supercomputers (only about 1% run Windows). Recently, the London Stock Exchange switched to Linux, and broke a speed record as a result. Most web servers use Apache, which is open-source. A number of them use the open-source MySQL database. The Android OS used in smart phones is open-source. Firefox and Chrome are open-source. Wikipedia uses the MediaWiki engine, which is open-source. WordPress, the most popular content management system for websites, is open-source. Open-source software is everywhere you look; it's not just a bunch of cheap software only made and used by computer nerds and hackers who live in their parents' basements.

It is very clear to this writer that Linux is a major threat to software giant Microsoft. Linux has constantly been a thorn In Microsoft's side
As has open source software of any kind.

Microsoft is New World Order all that way, with their closed source code and licensing policies. Even if you purchase the CD, Windows 7 is near $300, even if you pay cash and take it home, and install in in your own computer, one that you built with your hands, even though all of that is true, you still do not own the operating system. You are granted license for usage under certain conditions, and one of those is the Authentic Advantage, with the snap shot taken of your hardware and sent to Microsoft, for some unknown reasoning. A normal installation save nearly everything you do, from cookies to temp files, some of those cookies are HTML, and can be read by other websites. URLs you type are stored, as are whole snapshots of webpages. Your internet usage is tracked, whether you want to believe it or not. I have a hardware firewall, plus an I-Tables firewall, plus I use a switching proxy server to change my IP on every new page. Friends, even with all that, TPTB can track me. Just not as easily as they can track you Windows users.
Microsoft sucks. Linux forever.
Old 23rd February 2012, 04:05 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

No need to panic, Magickman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickman View Post
Does anyone think Gnash has any future, or that this Pepper replacement will be any good?
If Adobe's Linux Flash becomes too out-of-date to be useful, expect Gnash or Lightspark to pick up development pace quickly. Lightspark is already moving very fast. Coupled with HTML5 and the likelihood of the new plug-in API being supported by Firefox, either directly or via an intermediary plug-in (like nspluginwrapper does already for supporting 32-bit plug-ins in 64-bit Firefox), and there's really not much to be concerned about.

Quote:
I read on http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page that Microsoft is making bids to buy out Novell, which owns the Unix source code. If they acquire it, they will own Unix and will be able to make Mac OS X, Solaris, BSD, and Linux illegal.
That's just FUD. The distinction between the UNIX code, BSD code, and GNU/Linux code (which is a complete re-implementation from scratch and contains no UNIX code – c.f. the endless SCO saga, and their continued failure to produce any evidence) is well established. Even the UNIX trademark doesn't affect FOSS Unixes really. I think Microsoft would get into a whole load of legal trouble itself if it tried to behave like SCO or one of the other IP-trolls.

Gareth
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:20 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox

i had just come here to see if anyone else knew about this same issue (adobe dumping firefox). i found out here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/adobe...l-only-be.html
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:39 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, I found out what the hang-up is for alternatives. Flash supports H-264. Alternatives don't.

Firefox does not support H.264, so a full HTML5 is not a possibility there. The cost for royalties would be way too steep. Chrome, OTOH, does (I guess Google has deep pockets) from what I understand. Flash already seems to be dying. It would be great if instead of another patent-encumbered format, an open format such as OGG Theora were adopted. However, that is unlikely to happen.

Old 23rd February 2012, 10:53 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

Yeah, you'd need software other than VLC to support OGG Theora on Windows and Mac without the use of strange codecs for that to happen.
Old 24th February 2012, 01:14 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

an update of what Firefox will look like sooner or later https://people.mozilla.com/~shorland...platforms.html
Old 24th February 2012, 01:34 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

To say that it looks sleek is an understatement! I quite like that ! It would be safe to assume that one can customize what toolbar icons one wants I suppose .... Hopefully, this flash "problem" should just pass away
Old 24th February 2012, 02:46 AM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxfirefox

That Firefox design does look pretty good. Better than the current Chrome and much better than Firefox 10. Hopefully, the Linux variant will be as sleek.

Flash? Meh. I am in the process of banning most Flash from my main workstation anyway on security grounds, and relegating it to use in Virtual Machines only. Web GL will probably receive the same treatment, but I'm still investigating that.
Old 24th February 2012, 04:07 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Yes, it is pretty sharp looking. However, the HTML5 will be a bust unless there is some open-source workaround to the H.264 issue.

Old 24th February 2012, 04:14 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Bert View Post
That Firefox design does look pretty good. Better than the current Chrome and much better than Firefox 10. Hopefully, the Linux variant will be as sleek.

Flash? Meh. I am in the process of banning most Flash from my main workstation anyway on security grounds, and relegating it to use in Virtual Machines only. Web GL will probably receive the same treatment, but I'm still investigating that.
https://people.mozilla.com/~shorland...nux-gnome3.png the Gnome 3 image of it
Old 29th February 2012, 07:26 PM
YeOK Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Just a quick note, I updated Google Chrome Dev today (Version 19.0.1055.1 dev) and found I had no flash player. I noticed that in the about plugins page I now have two versions of flash.

Code:
Flash (2 files) - Version: 11.1 r102
Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
Name:	Shockwave Flash
Description:	Shockwave Flash 11.2 r31
Version:	11.2.31.109
Location:	/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
Type:	PPAPI (out-of-process)
 	 Enable
MIME types:	
MIME type	Description	File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash	Shockwave Flash	
.swf
application/futuresplash	FutureSplash Player	
.spl
Name:	Shockwave Flash
Version:	11.1 r102
Type:	NPAPI
 	 Disable
MIME types:	
MIME type	Description	File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash	Shockwave Flash	
.swf
application/futuresplash	FutureSplash Player	
.spl
Clearly it does not work, disabling the new version solves the problem but it looks to me like we will see this new version of Flash sooner than we think.
Old 29th February 2012, 09:53 PM
mtk Offline

linuxchrome

i had to disable the new version *and* click on the one line drop-down that says (paraphrasing) "even though this is an older version of flash, do you want to run the plugin this one time?". annoying.
/mark