Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st February 2012, 02:21 AM
szilagyic Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
FC16 and NVidia driver issues

Hello:

I've recently installed Fedora 16 (32-bit) on a couple of PCs that have NVidia GEForce 9400 series cards. I disabled nouveau and installed the proprietary video driver by using "yum install kmod-nvidia-PAE" and let the latest kernel and NVidia driver install from RPMFusion. However I soon found out that this NVidia driver is causing issues with Wine applications crashing, due to this bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=737223. I tried the workaround in this post, however X is crashing with a segmentation fault if it tries to use the RPMFusion provided NVidia driver.

So, after downloading and installing the proprietary video driver from NVidia.com, the problem is solved and everything works fine, no Wine crashes. However, the driver only works temporarily then Wine applications begin to crash again. I re-run the NVidia installer, however and reports:

"Your driver installation has been altered since it was originally installed...". If I re-install the driver using the NVidia installer, it will work fine again for a day or two, then break again. I've been trying to figure out what is modifying the driver and re-breaking it. I have triple checked and I have the nouveau driver completely gone; I've uninstalled all "kmod-nvidia-PAE" packages, made sure nouveau is blacklisted in grub, and also double checked this by looking at "lsmod" and there is no nouveau module present. I've also run:

dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

If I run "rpm -qa | grep nvidia", no results are returned which means all NVidia packages from Fedora/RPMFusion are gone. However this problem keeps happening where the driver is altered.

Has anybody experienced this and know how to successfully get the NVidia driver from Nvidia.com working permanently? I am at a loss as to what keeps doing this.

Thanks much for the help!
Old 21st February 2012, 06:21 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: FC16 and NVidia driver issues

I think akmod might be helpful when kernel updates roll in. Have you seen Leigh's guide to install NVidia drivers in Fedora 16? I believe the guide also lists the steps you have taken - but i am quoting from memory. Do take a look, if you have already haven't.

Cheers.
Old 21st February 2012, 01:25 PM
szilagyic Offline

windows_7firefox

Thank you for the reply. Yes I have followed his guide but I think there are some major issues with the NVidia driver released through RPMFusion, or there is some other underlying problem. I've followed Leigh's guide step by step, using akmod, and X will not run (it seg faults). When I first installed this system I did follow those same steps and the issue with Wine 3D applications crashing was there. The only way I can get all Wine applications running is to use the video driver from NVidia.com.

I know this is not the recommended way but it's the only way I can get everything to run properly. The issue I face is that I cannot get the config to hold as the NVidia.com installer keeps complaining that something altered the config.

Thanks.............
Old 29th February 2012, 06:37 PM
JeremY08 Offline

linuxchrome

Hi, I had the same ****ing problem just days back. I've fixed it. "prelink" turned out to be ****ing around.

I made a post as well @ http://jialongl.wordpress.com/2012/0...tered-problem/

Actually googling "prelink nvidia driver has been altered ...." (something like that) gives u many similar posts to mine... (****...)

Hope it works for you.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:33 AM
szilagyic Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks for the information. I think I did end up fixing the problem by removing the "xorg-x11-drv-nouveau" package. The problem seemed to go away after that. I did also try the mentioned prelink fixes with the RPMFusion provided binaries and X11 would seg fault so I was not able to successfully get everything working that way. I'm running with the NVidia released driver from nvidia.com and it's working good now.
Old 1st March 2012, 05:33 AM
JeremY08 Offline

linuxchrome

Haha, glad to hear that.

Just for the heads up, I think binaries and libraries provided by RPMFusion -- that is, redistributed nvidia driver as rpms -- are the same as the ones you get by running the ".run" file. I think some (extra) scripts are run, some confs are written after yum installs the files. For example, I manually editted /etc/prelink.conf.d/nvidia.conf, which must have been somehow configured in the "yum install" way.

Last edited by JeremY08; 3rd May 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 4th March 2012, 10:04 PM
lordamus Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

I think i have the same problem here...

Tags
driver, fc16, issues, nvidia