Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th February 2012, 10:36 AM
neocortex Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 16 64-bit crashes without apparent reasons...

Hello ALL!
After being happy for a while under Fedora 16 64-bit, and after several yum updates, I am experiencing serious problem -- total system crash with sudden shutdown. I have no idea what is going on, and I am seriously worried.
I have laptop ThinPad T400s, and I moved to Fedora to find stability and robustness, since I use it for job, but this makes me very anxious!
Please, does anyone experienced similar problem? Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix this?

All the best,
PM
Old 19th February 2012, 10:47 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Re: Fedora 16 64-bit crashes without apparent reasons...

If it suddenly shuts down without seeing any errors, especially when watching videos or playing games, this is often an indication of overheating. Try running a temperature applet to see what your temperatures are like. lmsensors is one such applet. There may be others.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgd...ame/lm_sensors
Old 19th February 2012, 10:58 AM
neocortex Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Batson View Post
If it suddenly shuts down without seeing any errors, especially when watching videos or playing games, this is often an indication of overheating. Try running a temperature applet to see what your temperatures are like. lmsensors is one such applet. There may be others.
Thank you very much! Yes, I think you are right! I managed to lock screen when this unfortunate event occured, and the last message was that temp reached 100 C. Later, I overloaded machine deliberately, and monitored temp with GKrellm (can do things like lm_sensors and more). Heating is going up.

Now, I do not watch vids nor play games, although I am trying to run some heavy statistics...

Is there any remedy to this?!?

Thanks again!
Old 19th February 2012, 11:13 AM
Ernst0 Offline

linuxfirefox

Vaccume the intakes to clear the dust
Old 19th February 2012, 11:16 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera

Yeah, shutdowns occur at ~100 deg. C on ThinkPads. You can try cleaning your fan, or else replace it. I have had to replace the fan twice on my T42. If you are under warranty, have Lenovo replace it. If not, there is a Hardware Maintenance Manual you can download with instructions on how to do it yourself.
Old 19th February 2012, 11:23 AM
neocortex Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you all! However, now, I suspect that the problem -- overheating is caused by the Windows XP under VirtualBox. When I start it, temp jumps like mad...

Any suggestion? Please, help!!!
Old 19th February 2012, 11:33 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera

Maybe you could run your program under WINE instead of in Windows XP under VirtualBox?
Old 1st March 2012, 04:36 PM
hmaarrfk Offline

linuxchrome

What computer do you have?

I have a Thinkpad R61 and I can say, If i push my computer to the limit, it gets too hot. There is actually a bug in the thinkpad_acpi driver. It is well documented in Launchpad

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/751689

you can run these commands and see what happens

Check
[CODE]
$ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
[CODE]
You should see that it is has similar settings as:

Code:
speed:          2896                                                                                
level:          auto
This seems to keep my computer at around 70 Degrees for the GPU and 60 Degrees for the CPU. But 3000 rpm is definitly not the max speed my fan can go.

To manually set your fan to max speed. Run the following code as root
Code:
$ sudo -i
# rmmod thinkpad_acpi
# modprobe thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1
# echo level disengaged | tee /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
The first line gives you super user privileged allowing you to tinker with the inner workings of your system.
The next two lines reload the driver allowing you to manually control the fan (this is dangerous as you can actually turn your fan off).
The last line lets the fan go in free running mode.

After the fan rampup (~30s), you should hear your computer doing lots of noise. This is normal, this is just your fan actually working. Mine goes at around 5500 rpm (see almost twice the speed.....).

To set the fan back to auto
Code:
$ echo level auto | tee /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
I hope this helps.

Tags
64bit, apparent, crashes, fan, fedora, reasons, shutdown, thinkpad