Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th February 2012, 03:00 PM
sluge Offline

windows_7ie
Question Install linux to degradated raid

Hello
I have a server with one hard disk, so, later I will add another one. Now I want to install RHES to degradated RAID 1, using anaconda kickstart. Later I will add one more hard drive and get fully redundant RAID 1. So, how to install RHES using kickstart to degradated raid?
Old 17th February 2012, 07:50 PM
mcsilva Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Install linux to degradated raid

Running a system in a degraded array during a long time is not recommended.
It would be better to install the new system in a non-raid disk, and later, when you add the new disk, convert it to raid 1.
Nevertheless, if you want to try it as an experiment, I think you have to manually create the partitions, then the raid arrays with a missing disk, and only then install the system on it.
Old 17th February 2012, 09:59 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: Install linux to degradated raid

For RAID 1 I'm not sure what really matters about running it degraded. Obviously it's not mirrored so there is no advantage until a mirror is created and finished syncing. All you need to do is create the degraded array (lots of online guides for this), it will show up as a device in anaconda which can be partitioned and formatted like any block device, and Fedora installed. When you add another drive, add it to the array and it will immediately start syncing. Done.

Tags
degradated, install, linux, raid