Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20/21 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 16th February 2012, 08:29 PM
adamierymenko Offline

linuxchrome
Unhappy Smart card (CAC) not working with GDM on Fedora 16 (with winbind/AD authentication)

I've installed Fedora 16 in a US government environment that uses CAC for authentication and winbind / Active Directory as its SSO system. It works out of the box for console logins. I can insert my CAC smartcard and am able to log into the machine just fine. But in graphical mode, GDM seems never to notice that the card is inserted. Inserting and removing the card has no effect on the GDM screen. I can only log in with regular username and password (which does work just fine).

Smartcard also works for other things like e-mail signing and encryption, Firefox, rdesktop, etc. Just not GDM.

Am I missing something? I have searched logs and Google endlessly and have found one other question about this but not even an attempt at an answer. Does anyone else have smartcards working? What did you do?
Old 26th June 2013, 05:30 PM
gnoma Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Smart card (CAC) not working with GDM on Fedora 16 (with winbind/AD authenticatio

Hello,

I am facing the same issue on Fedora 18.
Smart Card is working great in console, but when GDM is running, it doesn't turn to the smart card. It just shows your username and then asks for normal Unix password.

When in text mode, smart card is working great.

But when you turn on the "Require smart card", the GDM asks you for unix password and then doesn't log you in. This is about right, because it shouldn't log you in with Unix password, the only way should be the smart card. Still it doesn't know about it and keeps asking you for the Unix password.

In previous versions, the GDM have separated RPM plugin for Smart Card login, but in Fedora 17 and later it should be included in the GDM.

Did you manage to solve this? Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you.

Tags
authentication, cac, card, fedora, gdm, pam, pkcs11, smart, smartcard, winbind or ad, working