Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th February 2012, 11:39 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
How do I install a windows printer under Fedora 15

I just installed Fedora 15 on a computer, and I am having a very hard time doing things that were fairly easy under previous versions of Fedora. Right now I am trying to install a printer which resides on a locally networked computer running Windows. (I have this running under Fedora 14 on a different computer and I also had it running on the same computer under Fedora 13.) But the gnome 3 interface is making it very difficult for me to do anything.

I know roughly what I need to do, but I can't proceed because the basic tools I need don't seem to be there.

Presumably I need cups up and running. I've added cups via add-remove-programs, but I can't see how to start it. Help>troubleshooting on the Printing Configuration tool tells me I need to start cups and in order to do that I need to go to System->Administration->Services. Under earlier versions of Fedora I would know how to do that, but I haven't the foggiest notion how to do it under Fedora 15 using the gnome 3 interface.

The basic problem is that with the tools that gnome 3 has provided me I have been set way back from where I expect to be. So I need help in getting started.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:50 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How do I install a windows printer under Fedora 15

you can run the GUI services tool from a command line quickly like this:
Quote:
su -c "system-config-services"
But when I run it, I see that cups has no entry in there for some reason.
You can enable and start it with the systemctl terminal commands via:
Quote:
su -
<root password>
systemctl enable cups.service
systemctl start cups.service

Last edited by marko; 13th February 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:11 AM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How do I install a windows printer under Fedora 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
you can run the GUI services tool from a command line quickly like this:
But when I run it, I see that cups has no entry in there for some reason.
You can enable and start it with the systemctl terminal commands via:
Well you gave me the right clue

I used add-remove software to add system-config-services, and that let me start cups. I was then able to get through what I needed to do, including chaning my firewall, to find the windows printer and install it. I'm not sure it is completely right even now, but I did manage to print a test page.

I am still fumbiling trying to find everything I need and gnome 3 doesn't make it easy to do so.

Tags
fedora, install, printer, windows