Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:33 PM
Naruto316 Offline

macossafari
Fedora-16-i386-DVD.iso installation using a USB Stick

Hey,

I have 8 GB USB Stick. I downloaded Fedora-16-i386-DVD.iso (3.8 GB) from fedoraproject.org

I am using Mac Lion OS. I also have Ubuntu.

on ubuntu: i tried dd, usb-creator-gtk
on mac: dd

I am getting "Missing Operating System"

Could you please help me out with how to create a bootable USB Disk not for Live-CD but for the above ISO.

PEACE,
Sandeep
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:18 AM
suryaharis Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora-16-i386-DVD.iso installation using a USB Stick

maybe u need to check the md5 :O
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:26 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

you can try this method (under Ubuntu it should work, with git installed):
Code:
git clone git://fedorahosted.org/livecd
sudo ./livecd/tools/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --format --reset-mbr /home/YourUsername/Fedora-16*.iso /dev/sdX1
this method works for me almost always. But I haven't tried it with the installer image yet, only with live images. So I'm not really sure if this works in your case.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:07 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

If you have Lion, you have Apple hardware. In which case you're better off posting this in the Mac forum.

My previous understanding is that UEFI booting was only supported with x86_64 media, not i386 media. So that could be the issue.

Be advised that for Apple hardware, only EFI boot supports USB sticks. And EFI booting Apple hardware with OS's other than Mac OS, in my experience, is highly variable whether you will achieve success, depending on the mode. I have two laptops and so far can't get them to fully successfully startup to a GUI when EFI booting.

And Apple's CSM-BIOS boot (for Windows support) doesn't support booting from a USB stick, but both of my Macbook Pros can boot Fedora find in CSM-BIOS mode boot.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

OK so I've looked at this again, and while in theory it applies to the DVD install media as well, I've only tested it on LiveCD.

First within Mac OS X you can use this command to determine if you have 32-bit or 64-bit EFI.
Code:
ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi
It should come back with either EFI32 or EFI64.

If EFI64 you need to use x86_64 install media. Otherwise, you're going to have to hack together an x86_64 EFI bootloader, with i386 install media if you really want an i386 installation for some reason.

If EFI32 then you can should be able to use i386 install media, but as I don't have such Apple hardware I haven't tested this.

To produce the install media you should use livecd-tools 17.7-1.fc17 currently in updates-testing, which has bug fixes for creating EFI bootable media. I used this command and it does work. You may use an iso image instead of /dev/sr0, and sdb in favor of your actual USB device.

Code:
livecd-iso-to-disk --format --efi --overlay-size-mb 500 /dev/sr0 /dev/sdb
use livecd-iso-to-disk --help for more options.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:42 AM
Naruto316 Offline

macossafari

@Fenrin:

Thanks a lot.. It worked ..

@Chrismurphy:

Thanks for reply ..
Old 9th March 2012, 09:26 AM
d4v1dv00 Offline

linuxchrome

Found this article to get it running under VirtualBox as well

http://blink4blog.blogspot.com/2012/...ra-16-dvd.html
Old 9th March 2012, 03:09 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Just a note, too...

the livecd-iso-to-disk method above is really the preferred way to create a USB stick with the DVD image on it.

If you use dd to copy the image over, the install has issues because it can't locate the installation repository. It will look for optical drives and not look on the USB drive for it. When it can't find the repo, it will force you to set up a network connection, and then use the online repos.

(I know this was an issue in F15 and F16, but not certain about F17 as I haven't tried creating a USB stick from the DVD yet)
Old 9th March 2012, 05:52 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

There's also the small issue of 2048 vs 512 byte sectors between optical and ATA (emulating) media like a USB stick. dd can give you a wonky result if the original image isn't built with the expectation it can be used for both optical and non-optical media. This is one of the things livecd-tools deals with so I'm pretty much only using that. For (U)EFI, I'm not using anything other than actually burning media to RW media, or livecd-tools.

Tags
fedora16i386dvdiso, installation, stick, usb