Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th March 2012, 07:58 AM
toddbailey Offline

linuxsafari
f14 atrpms missing

any one know the story on f14 atrpms repository?

I just finished building a box and no atrpms, I had to use f15 but I don't that,s a good idea
Old 9th March 2012, 08:57 AM
Adunaic Offline

linuxsafari
Re: f14 atrpms missing

F14 ia quite far past its end of life. I suspect they have been shutdown.
Old 9th March 2012, 07:32 PM
toddbailey Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Yet Win XP lingers on.
Personally, I'd rather not have to upgrade every 6 months. Why does Fedora have such a short shelf life?
F15 and F16 don't offer anything I need. The new Gnome desktop is just one example of a good idea gone bad. Do you know of any mirrors still alive or other means?

thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:01 PM
Holdolin Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Not sure what Win XP has to do with the discussion, but alas. The short release cycles are how things are done here in the Fedora Project. At least one of the goals of the project is to give users the cutting edge of Linux technology, hence the 6 month release cycle. The longer you support a given release, the more of them you have in the wild at the same time, and subsequetnly, a great increase in the labor hours required to mantain/support it.

Howver, the great thing about Linux is, you have a great many choices. If you prefer slower release cycles and longer support, perhaps something along the line of CENT or Debian would be more to your taste
Old 9th March 2012, 11:14 PM
toddbailey Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

My point of Win XP is it been around since the turn of the last decade, it still in common use and still being supported, although I suspect M$ would love to drop it.

However I digress, I guess the motto behind Fedora should include for those who love to reinstall...
I've been using since FC2 and haven't found a better distro yet, and I've tried many.

Fom past experiences I don't install the latest version for a few months after the formal release, usually just enough bugs to make the platform unstable. Now that 16 has been out a while, I might have to update a test machine and see how it looks...

Tags
atrpms, f14, missing