Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th February 2012, 05:11 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Can anyone recommend a super grub disk which works?

I have a dual boot machne containing Winows Vista and Fedora 13. It is set up to boot using the Windows boot loader (via EasYBCD). I need to upgrade Linux, but I may encounter a problem. The last time I did this, the Linux installation put grub stage 1 in the MBR, not in the /boot partitions for Linux. I managed to fix that. I had some way to boot Linux so with some difficulty I was able to install grub correctly in /boot. On the Windows end, EasyBCD let me fix the MBR and then set up the Windows boot loader correctly.

Although I eventually figurde out what to do, I want to save myself some effort in case something goes wrong with the loader setup thiis time. There are super grub discks available, but I can't get those I've found to work with my current setup. I think I may understand why a super grub 2 disk won't work with my Fedora 13 installation since that uses an older form of grub to boot Linux. But I also found an earlier version of a super grub disk which also doesn't work.

It is quite possible that the super grub 2 disck will work with the upgraded version of Linux (Fedora 16) I intend to install. But I would be more comfortable if I felt I understand what is going on. I also want to have something which will let me boot the installed Linux whatever happens to the boot loading seuence.

Does anyone have anything to offer which might help me?
Old 9th February 2012, 05:22 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox
Re: Can anyone recommend a super grub disk which works?

Moved to EOL (End Of Life) Versions
Old 9th February 2012, 06:30 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

The only thing I can offer is an opinion, and that is to use Grub2 to boot both Windows and Linux. I've been doing it for years without issue.

I have in the past used Windows boot loader, but can't remember how I did it. Something of the order to Install grub on the Linux partition and not on MBR.

Here's an older example.
Old 9th February 2012, 07:44 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDog View Post
The only thing I can offer is an opinion, and that is to use Grub2 to boot both Windows and Linux. I've been doing it for years without issue.

I have in the past used Windows boot loader, but can't remember how I did it. Something of the order to Install grub on the Linux partition and not on MBR.

Here's an older example.
That is what I've always done in the past, but I encountered some problems with that setup, which is why I switched to using the Windows bootloader.
Old 9th February 2012, 08:52 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

With some troubles ahead if you're not used to it, this is the procedure i recall of my memory, how it was done 10 years ago

Keeping the windows boot loader:
1) Install windows
2) install linux, bootloader to either / or /boot (anywhere, but NOT mbr-default)
3) before rebooting!! switch to a virtual console, and use this command:
Code:
lsblk
dd if=/dev/sda5 of=/tmp/fedora_mbr.bin bs=512 count=1
Of course, sda5 should be where your grub loader is installed to. Wheter that may be / or /boot.
4) Copy the the bin file to a fat partition, usbstick which is readable by windows, preferable, you have the windows C: mounted somewhere and copy it there.
5) boot windows, and add a line there similiar to (remember, as i recall, 10 years ago) C:\f16_mbr.bin="Linux Fedora"

Do at your own risk, search google previous to verify the boot.ini line.
Hope this helps.

EDIT:
10 years ago, i think it was lilo not grub, dont know if that matters.

EDIT 2:
DO NOT DOUBLE POST
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276210

Last edited by sea; 9th February 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:19 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea

Do at your own risk, search google previous to verify the boot.ini line.
All that stuff you posted is accurate enough, but it applies to the NTLoader boot loader (NT, W2K, XP, Server 2003, etc.). EasyBCD was mentioned in post #1 which indicates Vista or later is the Windows system, and those newer Windows systems don't use NTLoader.

Tags
disk, grub, recommend, super, works