Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th February 2012, 02:05 AM
desouzaalex Offline

linuxfirefox
F16 failing to boot

Good evening.

I have F16 (32-bit) installed and it won't boot anymore (there's only one way so that I can get it to boot). It shows me the Fedora "loading" Logo for ages and then when I press something like F1 or F2 to see what's happening behind the scenes, it shows me a couple of errors:
Starting Remounting API VFS
Failed to open pack file: Read Only File System
Failed command: Read DMA

Failed to start LSB: Starts and stops login iSCSI daemon. [FAILED]
Failed to start LSB: Starts and stops login and scanning of iSCSI devices. [FAILED]
After that, it asks me for the root password to go into maintenance mode. So I log in as root and then I type "exit" and hit Enter; then it shows me the "full" Fedora Logo and I can finally log in as any stantard user (after about 5 minutes).

- - -

Besides that, GRUB would show me all these options to choose:
Fedora (3.2.3-2.f16i686)
Fedora (3.2.2-1.f16i686)
Fedora Linux with Linux 3.1.0-7.f16i686
Fedora Linux with Linux 3.1.0-7.f16i686 (Recovery Mode)
Why is that? (By the way, I tried all of them, and they all fail to boot).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by desouzaalex; 9th February 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 9th February 2012, 02:19 AM
rurikc Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 failing to boot

It should normally tell you _why_ it needs to enter maintenance just before prompting for password.

The most common cause is a hosed filesystem that requires manual intervention (fsck).

You may want to remove at least temporary 'rhgb' and 'quiet' boot options, just to see what is going on.

Good Luck
Old 9th February 2012, 02:39 AM
desouzaalex Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurikc View Post
It should normally tell you _why_ it needs to enter maintenance just before prompting for password.

The most common cause is a hosed filesystem that requires manual intervention (fsck).

You may want to remove at least temporary 'rhgb' and 'quiet' boot options, just to see what is going on.

Good Luck
Hey, I forgot telling that it shows:

I/O Error Dev SDB Sector 19777536

AND it started happening a couple of days ago, then the lights went off over here.

I'm new to Linux, I'm still stuying and learning, so I don't know many things yet. Could you go any further on the "rhgb" and "quiet" boot options?

And concerning that manual intervention (fsck), I guess I should just shoot "fsck" in the terminal while in maintenance mode, right? (Yes, I tried to do it right now, while using the system and it warned me that it could cause SEVERE filesystem damage ) It'll do things automatically or I'm supposed to do anything?

Thank you.

Last edited by desouzaalex; 9th February 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 9th February 2012, 02:56 AM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

You can force an fsck disk check to happen at boot up. Issue the following command as root.
Code:
touch /forcefsck
reboot
No guarantees it will completely fix your file system. Depends on how bad the damage is.
Old 9th February 2012, 04:27 AM
desouzaalex Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
You can force an fsck disk check to happen at boot up. Issue the following command as root.
Code:
touch /forcefsck
reboot
No guarantees it will completely fix your file system. Depends on how bad the damage is.
It didn't work out. I've tried those (as root) and also:

Code:
shutdown -rF now
None of them made it run fsck.

---------- Post added 9th February 2012 at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 8th February 2012 at 11:33 PM ----------

I found out that my file system is mounted at /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root, but when I try to unmount it, so that I can run "fsck", but I got the message "Device is busy" or something. I'm trying this after going into single user mode.

Any tips?

Last edited by desouzaalex; 9th February 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 9th February 2012, 05:16 AM
rurikc Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouzaalex View Post
Hey, I forgot telling that it shows:

I/O Error Dev SDB Sector 19777536

AND it started happening a couple of days ago, then the lights went off over here.

I'm new to Linux, I'm still stuying and learning, so I don't know many things yet. Could you go any further on the "rhgb" and "quiet" boot options?

And concerning that manual intervention (fsck), I guess I should just shoot "fsck" in the terminal while in maintenance mode, right? (Yes, I tried to do it right now, while using the system and it warned me that it could cause SEVERE filesystem damage ) It'll do things automatically or I'm supposed to do anything?

Thank you.
The I/O error is bad news. The disk may be failing.

If you are new to Linux at least I guess you are not so new with Windows.

Grab Hard Disk Sentinel (www.hdsentinel.com) and check your drive (Windows program, easiest option for now).

If you have important data, the time for a backup was yesterday

rhgb & quiet: At boot menu stop the automatic boot (play with cursor keys) and edit the kernel line parameters: delete 'rhgb' and 'quiet' and you may add 'single' to boot in single mode (where you can run fsck directly). These changes made on-the-fly are volatile, they are only for the current boot. With fsck you have no options basically but to say 'y' (yes).

With fsck you have to specify the partitlion. e.g.
'fsck /dev/sdb3' is the third partition ('3') on the second disk ('b') in the order detected at boot time

Use 'mount' to find the device, you should see something like:
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 ...
which means the root fs is on first disk, partition 2, and is of type ext3

WARNING: YOU DO _NOT_ RUN fsck ON A MOUNTED FILESYSTEM !

This is probably why you got the warning and this is why you need to go in single mode with the root fs check.

Good Luck.
Old 11th February 2012, 04:36 PM
desouzaalex Offline

linuxfirefox

I've tried all of it, but it seems that my Hard Disk is really messed up (in a way that it'd not boot at all). So I just decided(had) to get a "new" one and it's been working just fine.

Thank you for the help.

Tags
boot, f16, failing