Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th February 2012, 09:27 AM
RhnBlack Offline

windows_vistafirefox
boot failure

"dracut warning : e2fsck returned with 4
dracut warning : /dev/disk/..n some id.. superblodk last mount time ... 'sumtime'
an error occurred during the file check
droppinf yout to a shell, the system will try to mount the file system, when you leave the shell"

When I change the system time to present date..then it boots properly.
I guess the last mount point time is creating the problem.
But guys Wat if i change the time to sumwhere in future and again change it to present day ..
and how to avoid this time constraint??
thnx

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Im using Fedora 16
Old 10th February 2012, 08:55 AM
RhnBlack Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Question bott failure (time issue)

dracut warning : e2fsck returned with 4
dracut warning : /dev/disk/..n some id.. superblodk last mount time ... 'sumtime'
an error occurred during the file check
droppinf yout to a shell, the system will try to mount the file system, when you leave the shell"

When I change the system time to present date..then it boots properly.
Ibut when i set the system time to past the syustem fails to boot showing above error.
thnx

Im using Fedora 16
I'v posted this in general support also. Since no answers came. I'm giving it a try here.

the funny thing is, I change the system time to sumwhere in future, so that means I cant come to present. If i change it to present the system wont boot.
also i cant use ntpd, its an isolated system due to this thing called "security".
and its a brand new desktop, so cmos battery is not an issue.
Plizz ppl help. Im stuck wid this for last two days
Old 16th February 2012, 08:50 AM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: boot failure

Please double post again as it will give me the excuse I need to ban you
If you want to avoid that situation try reading the rules

Posting Rules
Old 16th February 2012, 09:15 AM
RhnBlack Offline

windows_vistafirefox

well sorry about that..
and this is a problem for fedora 16.. and also i didn't get any solution to this.. :-(
Old 16th February 2012, 10:02 AM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Have you tried changing the filesystem checking options in /etc/fstab

Read

Code:
man fstab
Quote:
The sixth field (fs_passno).
This field is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified
with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2. Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on dif‐
ferent drives will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware. If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero
is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:18 AM
RhnBlack Offline

windows_vistafirefox

I'v tried this but again when i change the system time to past, the same error occurs
Old 16th February 2012, 10:35 AM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
But guys Wat if i change the time to sumwhere in future and again change it to present day ..
and how to avoid this time constraint??
Since time travel isn't possible yet can you explain why you need to set your PC to a future time.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:09 AM
RhnBlack Offline

windows_vistafirefox

i'm not trying to travel in time or what so ever..
but the system need to be full proof..
if any1, knowingly unknowingly, changes the time to past or future.
or even if someone travels across the international date line.. then the user will change the date and time..
Old 16th February 2012, 04:53 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

yes, it does cause an error, and no, it's not a bug.. If the time difference is just a few hours, it corrects if for you and continues to boot. If the time difference is fairly large, then you must correct it manually by running a full filesystem check.

If you really really want to force it to not error like that on boot, there are 2 options you can try.

1: add the fastboot option to your kernel line

or

2: If you really want to be able to set your system clock massively behind your filesystem, you can set

broken_system_clock = 1

in /etc/e2fsck.conf and it should skip that check.

My advice.. Don't use either one, fix your filesystem and leave the system time alone

And the answer to travelling and crossing the international date line?? Set your clock to UTC, that doesn't change no matter where you travel to.. Then change your local time zone and let the system convert it for you.

Edit:

This behaviour is intended to make the system fool proof If you are foolish enough to want to corrupt your filesystem with the wrong date, then it requires your to fix the problem.. Thereby making it fool-proof

Last edited by DBelton; 16th February 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Tags
boot, boot failure, bott, failure, time