Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th February 2012, 05:53 PM
lala328 Offline

windows_7chrome
Will Fedora 15/16 install in this ACER?

Hi All,
I am a newbie in Linux and planning to get a new laptop dedicated for Fedora.

These are the specs of the machine that I am hoping to get:

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version - AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M Accelerated Processor 1.6GHz with TurboCORE technology up to 2.5GHz - 4GB DDR3 1066 SDRAM - 500GB hard drive - 15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LCD display (1366 x 768) - AMD Radeon™ HD 6620G Graphics - AMD A60M Fusion™ chipset - 8X DVD±RW DL - high-definition audio support - built-in stereo speakers - webcam - multi-gesture touchpad - 802.11b/g/n WLAN - gigabit LAN - HDMI® - Multi-in-1 card reader

Can anyone please tell me if I will be able to install Fedora 15 or 16 in this machine without any issue?

Inside Fedora, I will need mysql server 5.1 running and that install Flash player.

Would appreciate any inputs and recommendation if above is not good enough.

Thanks!

Lala
Old 4th February 2012, 09:47 PM
CreamCorn Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Will Fedora 15/16 install in this ACER?

While I can't comment on all the components, I can say that I have seen AMD A8 APU's work flawlessly with Fedora 16, 64-bit edition. A generic video card driver will be installed but if you want to take advantage of the fast graphics and OpenGL 4 capabilities of the Radeon HD 6620g for software like FreeCAD, Q CAD, Second Life, 0 A.D. or for the modern day web browser which takes advantage of GPU hardware acceleration, you will need to install AMD Catalyst drivers separately. The same would be true if you purchased a laptop that uses an nVidia GPU.
Old 4th February 2012, 10:11 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

hello,

this notebook above should be fine for mainstream gaming, HD videos, multitasking and so on. IMHO AMD's solution for mainstream gaming capable notebooks is better (especially power usage, heat and price) than NVIDIA's.

Maybe Nvidias closed source drivers are usually considered a little bit better for Linux than AMD's, but the difference between the two isn't that big. Well but if you rely on wine gaming, than it's a harder choice.

Furthermore NVIDIA's Optimus technology doesn't work on Linux yet. And for mainstream gaming you would need a notebook with IGP+dedicated NVIDIA GPU, if you went the NVIDIA route.
Old 5th February 2012, 10:40 AM
lala328 Offline

windows_7chrome

Thank you CreamCorn and Fenrin for insights. Appreciate it much
Old 5th February 2012, 12:08 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

Could be that turbo core technology of AMD is not (well) supported yet under Linux. I wasn't aware of it when I posted above. I read this yesterday.

Last edited by Fenrin; 5th February 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 5th February 2012, 12:59 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

IMHO ,
AMD CPU based notebooks get bit hotter than the intel in linux,windows,BSDs.
Life of AMD notebooks bit less too.

Desktop AMD is better than notebooks.

Tags
15 or 16, acer, fedora, install