Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:04 PM
gloken Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Intermittent freezing

Howdy. I'm new to Fedora, I moved over from Ubuntu on my home pc very recently because I really don't like the direction they've been going.

I've got a fresh install of Fedora 16 (Gnome) now.

I'm having intermittent freezing at the desktop. Randomly during use the mouse pointer, sound and display will all freeze and the machine will stop responding to any input devices. It happens within an hour of active use most times, and otherwise there's no common trend.

Has anyone else had this issue? My first thought was to check heat and make sure that my CPU wasn't just getting toasty, but there's no single temperature where it runs into issues. I'd love to adopt Fedora, but this one is going to be a death blow if I can't resolve it.
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:19 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Intermittent freezing

I'm experimenting the same "intermittent freezing" too.
I don't know if the problem depends on Gnome 3 or on kernel-3.2.2-1.fc16.i686.
May be both ...
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:28 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

I'm getting the same thing. It only happens to me when running Fedora 16 or Arch, both using Gnome3 and friends. The same machine running other Redhat based distros like Centos, Scientific, Fedora 14 with legacy Gnome, Fedora 15 with early Gnome 3, Mint with Cinnamon (is that what that desktop is called?) and Windows 7 don't lock up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:45 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

In my machine Windows 7 and Mageia 1 (running in triple boot) don't lock up as well ...
I have to add that in Fedora 16 I'm having a lot of Firefox crashes (these began a few days ago ...)
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:58 PM
gloken Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

It's starting to sound like I should try something else before I get too vested in this.
I was hoping for something more stable and less flashy and experimental than Ubuntu.
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:00 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

Hmm... I forgot my main point. Given my statements in my previous post, in my opinion it's a Gnome 3 issue and not a hardware issue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:21 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Hmm... I forgot my main point. Given my statements in my previous post, in my opinion it's a Gnome 3 issue and not a hardware issue.
Probably it is!
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:22 PM
ShivaS Offline

linuxfirefox

I noticed today that atheros wireless driver was the cause of F16 random crashes. I removed the PCMCIA card and no more hard resets for my laptop.

You can't have everything ....Where would you put it?
We, humans, are used with loops, not leaps...
Old 2nd February 2012, 07:28 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm not saying that it can't be something else, but given all the issues with the 3.2.x kernels, I think I'd be rolling it back to 3.1.9 (or whatever) if nothing else than to rule it out.

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 2nd February 2012, 07:34 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

It may be the 3.2.2 kernel. I've had a similar problem with the keyboard not responding sometimes at the login screen, and unplugging and plugging it back in didn't work. This only started with the 3.2.2 kernel, and has only happened twice. But that's enough to make me suspicious, since it never happened before (and the keyboard is fine).
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:31 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

with Gnome 3 and F16, you have the tracker program that fires up every so often and indexes your files.

I ran (from a terminal window signed in as my user)

gnome-session-properties

This allowed me to prevent some of the applications from starting when Gnome did.

I stopped all of the at-spi stuff (I don't use the assistive technologies), all if the input method stuff, and all of the tracker stuff.

After stopping tracker, my desktop smoothed out and hasn't caused an issue since.

Edit:

I have also had an issue since the 3.2.2 kernel similar to Rupert above, except mine is my mouse, not keyboard. Just every once in awhile when I start up, I have no mouse. A reboot usually fixes it. (Next time it occurs, I will see if I can look in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and see what happened. I'll also try just killing/restarting X and see if that fixes it instead of a reboot)

Last edited by DBelton; 2nd February 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:38 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm still using 3.1.9 & refused the kernel updates & it's associated stuff (given all the problems being reported - I updated everything else though) & so far, haven't had any issues. (other than what I had to start with)

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:14 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
with Gnome 3 and F16, you have the tracker program that fires up every so often and indexes your files.

I ran (from a terminal window signed in as my user)

gnome-session-properties

This allowed me to prevent some of the applications from starting when Gnome did.

I stopped all of the at-spi stuff (I don't use the assistive technologies), all if the input method stuff, and all of the tracker stuff.

After stopping tracker, my desktop smoothed out and hasn't caused an issue since.

Edit:

I have also had an issue since the 3.2.2 kernel similar to Rupert above, except mine is my mouse, not keyboard. Just every once in awhile when I start up, I have no mouse. A reboot usually fixes it. (Next time it occurs, I will see if I can look in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and see what happened. I'll also try just killing/restarting X and see if that fixes it instead of a reboot)
I like your ideas. I'm going to stop some or all of those applications and see if it makes any difference for me. As far as I'm concerned, excellent information. Thank you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:34 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

On a different notebook, I run Fedora 16 KDE.
It locks up all the time running kernel-3.2.2-1.fc16.i686!
So, in my opinion, the issue is not Gnome related.
Now I'm running 3.1.9-1.fc16.i686 or 3.2.1-3.fc16.i686 without any problem: the machine has been working for some days, without even shutting down and rebooting (I use to put it in stand - by mode).
So I suppose the problem depends on kernel-3.2.2-1.fc16.i686 ...
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:28 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
I like your ideas. I'm going to stop some or all of those applications and see if it makes any difference for me. As far as I'm concerned, excellent information. Thank you.
I am a firm believer in not running applications unless I use them or they are really necessary. Now as to whether this will fix your problems, who knows, but stopping unnecessary/unused programs can only be beneficial

Tags
freezing, intermittent