Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st January 2012, 10:50 AM
mikeym Offline

linuxfirefox
Installing OpenATI Radeon Drivers 32 bit?

Hi,

I've just replaced my long run of NVidia cards with a new Radeon HD card and I'm a bit confused about setting it up in Fedora. I've installed the open source drivers xorg-x11-drv-ati and gnome 3 seems to be running well enough. So I thought I'd try installing Doom3 (as one of the few Linux 3D games I own) which unfortunately is complicated by the fact it's 32 bit and I'm on a 64 bit system.

I can't figure out how to install the 32 bit version of the ATI drivers xorg-x11-drv-ati.i386 as only the 64 bit version seems to exist?

I got Doom3 installed by installing:

Code:
glibc.i686
libXt.i686
libXext.i686
And their dependencies. But running the game failed with a segfault while loading libGL.so.1. Which I guess is due to the ATI drivers not having the 32 bit installed (as the NVidia equivalent of this provides this library. I tried installing mesa-libGL.i686 as this also provides this library, but Doom3 complains about OpenGL running to slow and exits. Which I'm guessing is due to not having the correct 32 bit ATI drivers installed.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:46 AM
mikeym Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Installing OpenATI Radeon Drivers 32 bit?

Maybe someone could let me know if I'm vaguely on the right track, or if they've managed to get the open source ati drivers working for a 32 bit app in a 64 bit install?
Old 7th February 2012, 03:19 PM
mikeym Offline

linuxfirefox

Sorry, I'm going to bump. This as I really can't find the information I'm looking for. This really comes down to a general question about setting up the Open ATI drivers (the only ones apparently available for F16) for 32 bit applications. The only info I can find regarding this error is where people have not had 32 bit drivers properly set up.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Nevermind, I guess the open source ATI drivers just aren't up to much 3D wise. I thought they would at least try and run a game that is 6 years old, but I've found that it seems to struggle running quake 3 properly which is 13 years old (actually openarena). At least I can use gnome 3, even if my card does run 20C hotter than in windows and that's with dynpm turned on.

I really thought the Open ATI drivers were supposed to be doing better than this.
Old 7th February 2012, 03:37 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

if I had issues like this, I would just install Catalyst 12.1. On CentOS it's abolutely trouble free to use this driver. And Catalyst 12.1 is supposed to work much better with Gnome shell than older versions. At least if vsync is turned off.

20 C is difference is probably a bit exaggerated, huh? Which graphic card is it?

Last edited by Fenrin; 7th February 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 7th February 2012, 07:48 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

If you're using opengl I would also recomment Catalyst 12.1 which you can install from the rpmfusion testing repository. It is much better than 11.11, but it still has issues with xorg 1.11. If you try to play a video with mplayer or any other video player it will crash the X server unless you chose opengl output mode.

The radeon driver was running at less than 60 degrees celsius, which is about the same temperature as the nvidia card in my old computer. Couln't get a temperature reading from the catalyst driver yet.

Did you try to install 32 bit libraries for your video game like xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686?
Old 7th February 2012, 08:13 PM
mikeym Offline

windows_7chrome

Hi, no. No exaggeration. It idles at 35C in Windows 7, 55C in Fedora with dynpm turned on and 65C with it let off. That's a whopping 30C difference. Not that it's something to worry too much about the temp is not that high and it may be a little misleading as the fan is very low in Linux so it may be down to different fan speeds. But I would rather not have to pay for the increased electricity if it really is running that much hotter.

lm-sensors picks up my temp on my card.

The card is a Sapphire 6950, maybe I need to wait for the open drivers to catch up to my card?

I've not installed catalyst yet as breaking X11 seems like a counter productive step, but I'll guess I'll try them out. Perhaps tomorrow when I have time to break then fix my system.

Tags
bit, drivers, installing, openati, radeon