Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2012, 11:11 AM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Libreoffice British English support?

I am running Fedora 16, and have installed Libreoffice from the repositories.

The default language for documents has been picked up correctly as "English (UK)" from the Locale settings (so spell-checking and so on work as I want), but the only available language for the user interface is "English (USA)".

I've searched with yum, but can't find a version of libreoffice-langpack-en-GB, which I guess is the one I want.

Obviously it's not a big issue, but it does look odd to a Briton to see "color" in place of "colour" and so on (just as the converse would for a US English speaker, I presume).

Am I missing something obvious? Or has anyone else solved this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:32 AM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Libreoffice British English support?

No idea, I cannot find it either.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Per haps you could try asking the package maintainers. the en-gb pack exists in libreoffice. Not sure why it is not packaged. Looks like they have renamed it as well. LibreOffice has en-US, en-GB and en-ZA yet the packages is en.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:40 AM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfirefox

OK, thanks for the reply. In fact the libreoffice-langpack-en rpm seems to be empty so far as I can see!

I'm in the middle of seeing if I can shoe-horn the relevant files out of the downloads direct from LibreOffice...

--

... I've given up and installed the rpms downloaded from LibreOffice themselves.

Last edited by marriedto51; 21st January 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 29th January 2013, 07:53 AM
saurav Offline

linuxfirefox

I am a new member and am posting my first message, so the forum does not allow me to include the hyperlinks I wanted to. Therefore, the URL's I am including here are not hyperlinks and are malformed.
  1. Go to download dot documentfoundation dot org slash libreoffice.
  2. Select your version of LibreOffice.
  3. Download the language and help packages you want, and install it. Installation instructions are at www dot libreoffice dot org slash get-help slash installation slash linux slash hashInstalling_a_Language_Pack

You may need to copy/move the installed files to the place where your default (repo) LibreOffice is installed.

Last edited by saurav; 29th January 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 29th January 2013, 12:27 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

linuxfirefox

In F18 Gnome, if you search foe <en-GB> in Software it will bring up a Hunspell package, install that and it will link up with Libre Office. Not sureif that would work if you're using something like XFCE or LXDE and installing Libre Office alongside Abiword etc.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:22 PM
broadstairs Online

linuxfirefox

From what I can see the packager(s) for Fedora have not considered other languages for the User Interface. Locale and dictionaries work OK but the English UI is USA and although I have installed the English Language pack it does not allow changing of the UI language. I think in future I'll install from their websites RPMs rather than use the packages Fedora supplies, at least until they provide the UI packages as well, that way I can have Colour rather than Color all over the place.

Stuart
Old 30th January 2013, 08:23 AM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
From what I can see the packager(s) for Fedora have not considered other languages for the User Interface. Locale and dictionaries work OK but the English UI is USA [...]
Indeed, this is exactly the original issue. It seems an odd omission to me given the general high level of "internationalization" (is that a word??) among the other Fedora packages I use.

Tags
british, english, libreoffice, support