Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2012, 10:12 AM
burntflowers Offline

windows_7firefox
Question Looking for some information about SSD & Raidcard

Hi,

After a few Fedora installations from 13-15 I always went back to Windows. However I am now ready to make the complete transition into Fedora Linux. I have both my computers built with what they need and I am not changing any of the hardware for years to come.

I have 2 desktops and a laptop. I have done my research on most of the hardware and ran the LiveCDs all seems fine. Except one of my machines has a RocketRAID 622 PCI-e. Now this card is not a necessity. Highpoint's web site has open source drivers for kernel 2.4/2.6 however on my last attempted install those drivers are no longer supported by the kernel says I am running 2.1 and contact with Highpoint claims that if I run the appropriate distro which is 12 or lower the drivers will work however no support for this card will continue.

My other desktop has a SSD 120gb Corsair Force 3 series installed and I'm wanting to install Fedora to that as well but I'm not sure how compatible Linux is with a SSD. With Windows I had to update the firmware + install a patch in the OS to stop the random reboots. I did some googling and found that the /etc/fstab would need to be changed around.

The last is my laptop its a sony viao. It came with Windows 7 pre-installed and about 15 gig of Sony's bloatware on top of it.

Today I noticed that my C:\Windows folder was taking up 31.1gb that's just too much for an OS from install to patches and service packs. I know that this around the same for most of my other machines. Hard to believe but true.

Before I make the final move I wanted to ask some people who may have more insight to Linux and hardware as I do. Have there been any issues with Fedora 15 and SSD? and is it possible to still build a driver from source for the RocketRAID 622? Aside from those two things really I want to make sure I don't get in way over my head.
Rig4: Intel M2450 | 6gb-1333 | Intel HD Graphics | Win 7

Tags
information, raidcard, rockeraid, ssd