Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th January 2012, 04:36 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox
Odd Xfce F16 desktop performance in old hardware

I gave the Xfce Fedora 16 spin a go. I like it's DE environment.

The problem I ran into (as with Fedora 16 - Gnome 3 fallback mode) was that Scribus 4.0 would not export an image. I would do a test run of desktop publishing, all other apps worked fine except Scribus. The big issue is, that not only would it not export an image, but immediately crash - all work lost (again test run, so test production lost). And the fonts would fade to a light pale color from time to time throughout the DE environment?

I am happy using Debian 6, just thought I would try a GNU/Linux distro with a newer Linux Kernel. And D6 runs solid and stable. Not sure if it is my older hardware (inspiron 1100, Intel Celeron 2.00GHz, 1 Gb of RAM, and Intel 845GL chip set) or if it is the newer Linux Kernel in Fedora vs the older Linux Kernel in D6?

Any ideas on this, or similar experiences with older hardware? Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 06:19 PM
szilagyic Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Odd Xfce F16 desktop performance in old hardware

I believe Scribus uses qt. Have you tried upgrading the qt and/or qt4 packages? I've had strange interface issues with Scribus in the past and qt upgrades have helped.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:24 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I'm seeing the same problem with Scribus on my F16 x86_64 system. There was a bug filed about it here: http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10509

The guy who reported it says it's all fixed now, but he doesn't say what fixed it.
C'mon people, when something gets fixed say what fixed it!!
Old 19th January 2012, 05:39 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I'm seeing the same problem with Scribus on my F16 x86_64 system. There was a bug filed about it here: http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10509

The guy who reported it says it's all fixed now, but he doesn't say what fixed it.
C'mon people, when something gets fixed say what fixed it!!
Odd they did not indicate the fix Thanks for the information.

Any thoughts on the desk top fonts fading?
Old 5th February 2012, 04:59 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel
Question Re: Odd Xfce F16 desktop performance in old hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
The problem I ran into (as with Fedora 16 - Gnome 3 fallback mode) was that Scribus 4.0 would not export an image. I would do a test run of desktop publishing, all other apps worked fine except Scribus. The big issue is, that not only would it not export an image, but immediately crash - all work lost (again test run, so test production lost). And the fonts would fade to a light pale color from time to time throughout the DE environment?
Tried again with an install of Xfce F16. Install went well, good looking desktop environment. No fading fonts. But again, Scribus issue with exporting image, signal error, then Scribus' crashes taking your work with it.

Not having this issue with Scribus 4.0 in Debian 6 (Gnome 2). Is this an issue with the newer linux kernel (F16) vs the older linux kernel (D6)? Anyone else having this crash when attempting image export in Scribus 4.0? This does not seem related to my older hardware, as everything else works great in Xfce F16.

Any additional information on this Scribus issue would be great. Scribus 4.0 is a must have application for me. And I would like to use Xfce F16, as I am moving on from this old hardware to a new notebook.

Thanks