Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th January 2012, 12:45 AM
cruicent Offline

linuxfirefox
f16 cant use nvidia drivers

Ive recently tried installing f16 onto my laptop. When trying to install using the 64 bit full dvd version, I can only get it to start by using the lower graphics option in the troubleshooting menu of the dvd.
When I load fedora up after installation, I get an error saying something to do with gnome not being able to load (cant remember specifics sorry). I dont get the option of my full resolution and the graphics are pretty poor/I dont get all the gnome 3 benefits. Ive updated the kernel and then gone through the guide to install the proprietary nvidia drivers, but after that, the display wont come up when loading the new kernel, but I can get back to the bad display on the old kernel. Any one any idea how to get this going again? Ive not used linux in a good few years so Ive forgotten pretty much everything, sorry.

Thanks,

Also thought I might add I seem to have problems with ubuntu and opensuse for various reasons as well.

Laptop hardware specs below:

Chassis & Display Vortex II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2860QM (2.50GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card 2.0GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M - DirectX® 11 (15.6" Vortex II)
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive SONY BD-5730S 6x BLURAY WRITER & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE (£89)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
Registered Linux User #424567 :cool:
Registered Linux machine #332172 :D

Last edited by cruicent; 15th January 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 15th January 2012, 05:49 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome
Re: f16 cant use nvidia drivers

If you updated to the latest kernel I don't think the matching kmod is available yet. Install the akmod instead. There is a section in that guide showing how to do that. The akmod will create the kmod if it doesn't exist for the kernel you are using.
Also check you are doing every step in the guide.
Old 15th January 2012, 09:34 AM
cruicent Offline

linuxfirefox

Well it seems to have somehow sorted itself out, nvidia is working as it should and I have a linux back

Ive also noticed in this new gnome that I dont seem to have a shutdown button, lock screen, switch user, log out and suspend is all the options available and to turn off the laptop I have to terminal shutdown it. Is there a way to get it on with the rest of the buttons?

Thanks
Registered Linux User #424567 :cool:
Registered Linux machine #332172 :D
Old 15th January 2012, 09:52 AM
duffman128 Offline

unknownopera

Everyone seems to complain about the same on Gnome 3. To get these options just hold alt and the Suspend button will change to Power off. To make Power off the default just visit gnome.org and look for extensions.
Old 15th January 2012, 03:30 PM
Gekoncze Offline

linuxfirefox

For the shutdown button: or you can first logout and at the login screen there it is in the top right corner.
Old 21st January 2012, 08:50 PM
daydreamer Offline

linuxfirefox

How did you manage to exorcise the "nouveau" drivers from your system? I'm trying to install nvidia legacy drivers onto my Fedora core 16 system (Geforce FX5600). In all the previous versions (<= Fedora 12), it's been fairly straightforward with the odd sneaky (SELinux, changed kernel stack sizes).

I'm used to blacklisting "nouveau", but the changes to GRUB-2, pre-built ramdisk images with built-in drivers, really make this like something out of horror movie.

I've tried blacklisting "nouveau" in /etc/default/grub (GRUB-2 kernel line)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 rd.lvm.lv=VolGroup/lv_swap quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.lvm.lv=VolGroup/lv_root rd.luks=0 KEYTABLE=uk LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd.blacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0"

I've also blacklisted "nouveau" in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist viafb
blacklist nouveau

I've used dracut to create a new ramdisk image, and then reboot the PC.

Even then, there would still be a "nouveau" driver attached to the video subsystem.

nouveau 686759 0
ttm 51800 1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper 26252 1 nouveau
drm 172493 3 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 4724 1 nouveau
mxm_wmi 1395 1 nouveau
i2c_core 23631 6 nouveau,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit,videodev,i 2c_sis96x
video 10744 1 nouveau

This happens, even if I move every possible "nouveau.ko" file out of the modules directory:

eg.

/run/initramfs/lib/modules/3.1.0-7.fc16.i686/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau

If I try and go down to command line mode (init 3), and install the driver using the 173.xx.xx .run file, then the installer complains about not being able to load the "nvidia.ko" module.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers,
Daydreamer
Old 21st January 2012, 09:34 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox

You cannot use the the old legacy 173.xx.xx Nvidia drivers in F16. It is not compatible with the current version Xorg.

Tags
drivers, f16, nvidia